RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resource icon

[2.x] Player Languages 0.4

No permission to download

Enroq

Sorceror
Enroq submitted a new resource:

Player Languages (version 0.1) - Allows players to learn and speak languages.

Player Languages Version 0.1
  • Platforms nearly countless languages; allows adding and removing languages with ease.
  • If a player cannot understand a spoken language, the speaker's font will be converted to runic text that is very hard to translate (and does not show up in the journal).
  • A player may toggle what language they are speaking by using the command [speak 'language'.
  • Players may learn a language by reading (and...

Read more about this resource...

m309

Squire
Enroq, looks great. Will this "partially" convert a players speech? For instance if the player hearing has less than the full amount of skill, will the sentence be fractured only translating some of the content, or is it pretty much all or nothing translation wise?

Enroq

Sorceror
Yeah, it's all or nothing. I was thinking about that too. I'll work on dissecting each word for future versions.

+ Upon further investigation I've found that I can not combine ASCII with Unicode. I believe this to be a client limitation. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Soteric

Knight
Great idea! :)

I noticed few issues here.
Code:
                if ((player.AccessLevel > AccessLevel.Player) && player.Hidden)
                    return;

if ((!player.Alive) || player == null || String.IsNullOrEmpty(playerSpeech))
                    return;
If 'player' can really be null it should be checked before these lines.
Code:
private Language WritLanguage;
I suppose it should be serialized.

Enroq

Sorceror
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for it to return null, because it has to be a player. it's honestly just habit.

Thanks for the heads up on the serialization I missed.

WritLanguage is intentional, like the language it's written in, or ancient writ.

Formosa

Traveler
Code:
Errors:
+ Customs/123 Test/Language 0.3.cs:
    CS0246: Line 249: The type or namespace name 'CommandAttribute' could not be
found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Enroq

Sorceror
As far as I know, it should come with RunUO.

Also, Thanks Vi - I wasn't ignoring you, just saw that post. Means a lot coming from you.

ViWinfii

Sorceror
Hey man, this is what sharing with the community is all about. I would have never thought to use that runic font to translate text in a way that does not show up in the journal. The code is also very sleek. I'm surprised at how little code there is to make this all work - makes some projects of mine appear a bit bloated :)

Enroq

Sorceror
Sorry Formosa, I didn't realize that wasn't RunUO standard. Entirely my fault. It's hard to keep up with what's changed and what's original.

I fully agree with you Vi, on community.

Honestly, Vi, it wasn't my idea. Eufron's Racial Dialects are probably the first instance of its implementation. However, he couldn't deal with the stress, and left his project.

Also, as far as the not showing up in the journal, that's an affect of ASCII - I did not have to program any of that.

Sachin Esha

Wanderer
If i wish to try this out, will i have to DL the original file then each of the updates as well, or is the updated original dl updated automatically. Very nice job from what i have read, i really want to try this out.