RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Release and Rumors oh my...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Release and Rumors oh my...

I wanted to put to bed some rumors, and let you know what's going on with the next RunUO Release.

First of all the next Release will be 3 Binaries, not just 1 as you're used to. You will get a .NET 1.1 binary, as well as a .NET 2.0 binary optimized for the 32 bit platform as well as the 64 bit platform. We have an internal commitment to follow up the next release which will be RunUO 2.0 due to the major rewrites quickly with a release supporting Ultima Online Mondains Legacy. Yes we hate the changes, but yes we also recognize the need to get these things coded and get the support in there for our users that do enjoy these updates.

On another note....

Recently I've noticed a tendency of people to speculate about what's going on, what took so long with his release and why is it that the people who have forked RunUO are able to get things done 'faster' than the RunUO Team.

I'll address this and hopefully put it to bed once and for all.

In the recent months the RunUO Team has rewritten large chunks of the core to optimize it and make it exceptionally efficient. This entails extended development hours and lots of testing on our part. Yes we use our production shards for test beds and yes we hear a lot of whining about it nevertheless it is how we have constantly done it and it's done that way to ensure a stable release for our users.

I find it disheartening that forks of The RunUO project like to attack the RunUO team as if we have done something wrong to them. We do not in any way shape or form support users of RunUO forks, but we do not shun their very existence. The entire rationale of releasing RunUO as an open source project was to allow people to fork the core, and modify it in ways they see fit. The problem we have is with people who make-believe they are superior to us because they modify a few lines of the core, or add a few scripts and say look we are superior to the RunUO Team.

If these people were "superior" their code wouldn't crash. You can take an out of box distribution of RunUO 1.0.0 and put it against any fork or competitor out there and run 8000 users through it and RunUO 1.0.0 is the only one who will be left standing. We've done it.... we know.

We appreciate the few smaller forks out there that work on their own modifications and contribute back ideas for optimizations or features that can be added, however we do not like, nor support the ones that like to personally attack the developers of RunUO, or the Team as a whole. Frankly without us, they would not exist, and I will take that a step farther and say they could not do what we have done.

We appreciate the continued support of RunUO and look forward to our upcoming releases with a lot of enthusiasm. We hope you value RunUO and support our community. The RunUO Team will no longer support any community or project which supports RunUO forks, or competitors who act in a derogatory manner toward the RunUO Team.

On behalf of the RunUO Team,
Thanks,
Ryan McAdams

CEO

Sorceror
Well said Ryan!

RunUO is the ultimate UO server. No clone, fork, or other product comes close. IMO, the platform and capabilites of your product outperforms an EA shard with their expensive multi-server Suns. The test of 8k+ users proves it. What the RunUO team has done is simply amazing.

Atomic

Wanderer
Thanks for the clarifications :)
Just one question, the changes on the core code to support 3 releases are just small compile time options or 3 entirely different codes?

gilberto

Wanderer
Well, I think you're right, Ryan. I don't like the .NET, but I am a computer technician (I don't know if the correct word is "technician" or "technicist", sorry for that) since I was 16 years old (I'm 24 years old now), I know how hard is to create, develop and make work a project so complex as RunUO. Even I dislike .NET, I have to admit the RunUO team had their reasons to use it, and they are best programmers than me. So, the only thing I can do is thank them for do all that hard work just for our fun, and present my congratulations for the amazing work they do. You're great, guys.

For the people that get the source, add a dozen of lines, use their teenager friends and their 8 years old brothers (who has no technical knowledge at all) to test their "new" version, and says "Look, I did a version of RunUO that is better than the official, cause I am better than the RunUO team", I just ask: if they are so good, why they need to use the source code made by another people? Why they don't write their own source code from the beginning? If they are so good it's sure they can start their own project and forget RunUO. So, if they are that good, please forget RunUO exists, and stop bothering the RunUO community.

Thank you again, Ryan and the RunUO team.

PS: Sorry for the crude english. I learned my english playing videogames with a HUGE english-Portuguese dictionary (I'm brazilian) at my side when I was younger :D and we don't have good english lessons at the brazilian schools...

sidsid

Sorceror
If you weren't being trashed or have other groups claiming they are better than YOURS, then you wouldnt be a great project. Look at Microsoft, they dominate the industry, and every time you hear their name mentioned you hear someone say "oh Linux is better" etc..
The more flak you take, the better you are doing.

Phantom

Knight
sidsid said:
If you weren't being trashed or have other groups claiming they are better than YOURS, then you wouldnt be a great project. Look at Microsoft, they dominate the industry, and every time you hear their name mentioned you hear someone say "oh Linux is better" etc..
The more flak you take, the better you are doing.

One difference Microsoft does suck :p

But the reason Microsoft sucks is for a different reason, they have alot of great products, but the problem is at some point they have to release their products. This is where they fail, in the sense they don't have a structure to make sure their code makes sense and works. Now has programming chanced since the 1980 when Microsoft was founded, yes it has, thanks to the internet.

So a company formed before the internet had to jump upon a market that included the internet, thus you introduce the bugs we all know, their because problem is their size.

Anyways the point is, Microsoft is getting better about bugs, nobody can program perfect code not even the Linux guys. Microsoft is just as good as Apple and Linux, just for different reasons, this has always been true otherwise way are their multiple products for everything.

Its called a market, programming is a child when it comes to that, at some point Microsoft, Apple will find a way to work together yet be seperate, any industry that has done this has made it.

TV, Power, Phone, Coal, Food

They all work together, they have standards that they work by, yet they can still be seperate. You would be shocked what you learn by going to IEEE meetings :)

Vorspire

Knight
Excellent, Outstanding, Monumental...

RunUO is probebly one of the single greatest projects I have ever been proud to be part of the community of.

Kudo's to Ryan and the Dev team for all of their hard work!

The next release is very much anticipated!

Regards, Vorspire

sidsid

Sorceror
True, Phantom, and I wasnt really comparing MS to RunUO. Just the fact that a company thats made a major impact on the world that gets trashed, often unfairly, because of jealousy. Granted they've got problems, but they are also controlled by the consumer market unlike a free project is. However, just imagine if RunUO had 2,500 people working on it on the core development side... it'd probably be just as bad.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Recently I've noticed a tendency of people to speculate about what's going on, what took so long with his release and why is it that the people who have forked RunUO are able to get things done 'faster' than the RunUO Team.

Expanding on this with a few lines ->

If we wanted we could have things done a lot faster, but it would be, well, crappy. Our code goes through more testing than anyone else.

We spend lots of time spent on making everything as accurate as possible, from collecting mounds of data from OSI, surveying people on their memories of 'how things were' back in Pre-Current eras, Locking up and forcing... err... asking for help from friends to translate things in different languages to be able to get that data, And then comparing that to collected data. Even if the effect is off of an ability or even the hue number of a message is wrong, thatis still a BUG!

Then after all that, we have to code it, but code it well. Making it as extensible as we can easily do, ensuring as much compatibility and options for custom coders, and generally designing it to run efficently. As well as making the code readable and make sense.

We can't just take code that people submit and code themselves and put it willy-nilly into the distro. Most things we'd re-write ourselves. For the few people we DO trust to code quality code but aren't on the dev team, we still spend lots of time going over and reading through all that to if nothing else, improve and double check it. This number of people even then is small.

Check, double check, triple check.

Quality over quantity.

Q/q.

Viago

Knight
there is nothing you can do while programing something that is to be relased from the internet, and or consumers. hackers/crackers will allways find a way to re engineer. its just like websecurity on ones site. ect.

Having an open source comunity, allows those who whould be in the shaddows to submit thier work. how ever, it may not be supported, but it allows more options and feturers to be release/used for runuo (the ones desinged for runuo that is)

then there are the, bad apples (in my opinion). i think you know them but in not going to elaberate on it too much. just some things arnt advisable not only for security, versitility, or performance to not use runuo whould be giving these things up. In my opinion i prefer qualtiy over quanity. and some...other. emulator bum rushes a "better" version, i dare not use it. The runuo team puts alot of effort to not only make the emulator...emulat...UO....but they make it stable, reliable, and they make it usuable in the feutre. why download anywher else?

thats my two cents on that.

i am especialy glad to see the runuo team makeing it usable in other .net . ill still be using runuo (official releases) in my grave!!

RunUO talse from the crypt!!!!???

maloki

Wanderer
Woo, I'd really like to thank all of those who contribute to RunUO and those who keep it alive. Because it really does, KICK @$$!!!

Phantom

Knight
sidsid said:
True, Phantom, and I wasnt really comparing MS to RunUO. Just the fact that a company thats made a major impact on the world that gets trashed, often unfairly, because of jealousy. Granted they've got problems, but they are also controlled by the consumer market unlike a free project is. However, just imagine if RunUO had 2,500 people working on it on the core development side... it'd probably be just as bad.

I understand :)

I was defending Microsoft in a way, where it defends the workable features in their programs.

Buggy code is something I hate, there is no excuse for it, the problem is all buggy code is caused by a reason ( excuse ). Something wasn't tested enough, thus lead to the bug, problem is no program is perfect.

I am to describing a Conundrum, something where the cause is the solution, and the solution is the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.