RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0 Release Time?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
RunUO 1.0 Release Time?

I've put a lot of thought into this because I have been part of UO Emulation since its beginning.

As of right now hands down RunUO is the most powerful emulator out there. Show me any other Emulator that can handle 1500 users online and I will think something else might compare.

I have been told time and again that Sphere is better, or that Wolfpack is better, or what have you but I still have yet to see it proven to me. We set out with a goal to make RunUO easy and we did. RunUO is a download, Double click and run software package that really couldn’t be any easier. Granted, some people don’t like the fact that we have gone away from the standard "ini" format for configuration, but we don’t really care. Our goal was to be solid, customizable and down right powerful, while being a download and double click emulator.

We have done that. Anyone who says differently either doesn’t know how to use a PC, or is lying to you. If you look whats going on over at Sphere right now they are trying to release Sphere 1.0. I wanted to make RunUO a 1.0 Beta 1 back in the day of RunUO Beta 28 but we decided against it and kept down the Beta path.

So here is a question, what is Beta software?

Answer:

Beta versions of commercial software are work-in-progress test copies released prior to the full version. They're used to put the product through real-world tests and to ferret out bugs before the finished software hits the shelves. Betas often expire after a period of time, usually when the full version or the next beta is released.

Bugs... well the down right truth of the matter is we have very few actual bugs. Sure there might be some missing features, sure their might be this or that which you'd like to see but in all reality, RunUO has been 1.0 Beta 1 release ready for about the past 10 Betas.

With this I am announcing my intention to discuss with the RunUO Team, the release of RunUO 1.0 Beta 1. Let me explain what this means and how it will work for those of you who might not understand how I am going to go about this.

My plan is to release RunUO 1.0 Beta 1 to the public, get it out there and get Core Bugs cleaned up. Not features, core bugs. This can go through a few betas, even up to RunUO 1.0 Beta 10 if we need it to. Then after those bugs are out we ensure the ability is there to add any and all features to the server via scripts by release RunUO 1.0 RC (Release Candidate) 1. As we, the RunUO Team go through and work on RunUO 1.0 RC1 we will determine what needs to be done, and start pounding out some Release Candidates to get RunUO into a phase where we feel comfortable with it.

When we, the Developers are satisfied that we have met our goals, we will then in turn release RunUO 1.0 to the public. From this point on we will use our own little system to judge how release versioning should be handled. At this point I think we can expect a few point releases until the next major release. So for example, if we release 1.0 and start fixing any problems we might find, the concurrent releases will be 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on... however if we add a major system to RunUO, while fixing bugs it will come out as 2.0, marking a major change.

Now, if you haven’t read this completely you are doing yourself and this community a disservice. If you have, please feel free to go ahead and comment, and vote.

Thanks for your time, it’s appreciated and let’s cheer on RunUO 1.0!!!!