RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO Source Code

DarthICE1

Wanderer
Because they plan on forcing us to all buy Version 1.0 and become bigger than Microsoft!! :twisted:

Just kidding hehe, I think your gonna have to ask the devs why they closed it, but im sure they got good reasons 8)

Lifedragn

Wanderer
If it were open, we'd probably have 30 different RunUO offshoots by now don't ya think? Then with people working on all the offshoots, how much do you think would get done to the original program?

A

altiara

Why are people so obsessed with open-source emus? The Sphere team gets this question all the time.

If you want an open-source emu, there are a few out there. Not every emu needs to be open-source.

Mark

Knight
Hey Altiara did you know DarkIce uses Linux? Just letting you know, incase you missed that 4 million by 700 thousand banner in his signature.

Lifedragn

Wanderer
DarkIce didnt say anything against the RunUO being closed source though, he said they prob have a good reason, so I don't see what the billboard in his sig has anything to do with it

Mark

Knight
I'm sorry, just hoping he gets the idea that using linux doesn't make you cooler smarter or more elite.

A

altiara

Heh...yeah, I noticed.

It's stuff like that which caused me to disable signatures on our boards. No matter how many times I told people not to use banners in their sigs or advertise their shards in their sigs, I had to end up modifying people's signatures several times a day. It just wasn't worth it.

Sorry...back to the original topic -- There are plenty of reasons to keep a project closed source. As someone mentioned earlier, you might end up with a zillion variants out there. Let's say a program called "foo" was open-source. Then somebody decided to create a variant called "foobar". Guess where people running "foobar" would invariably come for support? Yep....to the "foo" site. Then they'd whine when the "foo" team told them to go to the "foobar" site. There are always people out there that can't figure out where they should be going for help.

I could list the other wonders of closed-source software, but I won't at the moment.

I'll just mention one other thing on this subject right now. For a long time, I would get requests, and frequently demands to make Axis open source. I wonder why people made these requests, because it certainly wasn't so that they could help with the development of Axis. In the 8 months that Axis has been open-sourced, I've had actual source contributions from a total of 3 people. Only one of those people actually submitted more than 50 lines of code.

Mark

Knight
98% of the time the reason people demand source is so they can steal it. Another percent of the time people demand it because its trendy to be pro open source. And the last percent are the few people who actually want to help. The very few.

;p

L

Lost User

Im happy that RUN UO is closed-source...... less things for me to break =\

Zippy

Razor Creator
Topics like this are pointless, it's closed source because thats the way we want it, and thats all you need to know.

Also, even though your sig is in jest it's VERY annoying (I'm deleting it right now), do NOT abuse the signatures. I don't care what ytou put in there, banner ads or whatever, so long as they aren't huge, offensive, or cause temporary blindness.

L

Lost User

Topics like this are pointless, it's closed source because thats the way we want it, and thats all you need to know.

Thanks!
¬¬

Im not saying make it open source and run a CVS so everyone can code, but putting the source for download is not bad.

Take a look at #dev, it is open source and it is good, productive

Vhaldir

Sorceror
Who cares. It's their project, they don't want it open source. Let it drop... this is only about the 30th time someone has posted a thread like this..
Obviously, if they wanted it to be open source, they'd make it open source.
I think the devs here are experienced enough and set in their opinion that even repeditive requests for opening the source will be IGNORED

Furthermore.. the redundancy is ANNOYING!

C

Chaos

LOL, Altiara had the best point here. I bet about 500 people demanded that Axis be open source. 8 months its been open source, and 3 people sent code to help the Axis program? LOL.

Sounds like UOX v95 when I was working on it with EviLDeD, Ab, and Zippy. I remember how many people pmed me, IMed me, ICQed me, etc about how wrong it is to keep the source code closed.

Then we released the code, and everyone was pissed because it wasnt finished. Funny thing is, users arent happy when the source is closed, then they arent happy when its open.