RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scripting

L

Lost User

scripting

Has anyone got any sites where i can learn the basics of RunUO scripting?
i looked at some C# beginner tutorials but i get lost in a minute because they dont explain what everything does properly, or they explain some of it but i don't understand :(

please reply
thanks

L

Lost User

ive tried looking at the scripts, i can understand only very very little of it
the rest looks like gibberish to me :(

SickLab

Wanderer
You firstly have to understand the concept of Oriented Object Programming.

It's sure, that if you have no basic of real programmation, it is going to be hard to start.

L

Lost User

i know the basics of POL, scripted in a program called BYOND, learned a little C++ awhile back, do you know any sites which could help me try to script in RU?

eternis

Wanderer
Sicklab is right, best is to look at the scripts already done and to use it for example. If you are patient you will see that C# is not so complicated and he looks like Sphere's language. The system object, if I understood well, it's to give the value of relationship that is reusable.

L

Lost User

i tried all day today to see if i can try to atleast learn basics but i just dont get any of it, i have looked at every script and looked at it hard but still couldnt

public override void Serialize( GenericWriter writer )
{
base.Serialize( writer );

writer.Write( (int) 0 ); // version
}
like that
i just get stumped and got absoulutely no idea what its on about :(
and i cant really find out what it does because i dont know where to go to find out :?

SickLab

Wanderer
eheh, every body is missing the purpose of serialization.

Look on MSDN or something, and type "serialization". You will get some article that explain what it is.

When developping a Doc/View architecture in MFC/C++, Serialization is almost always use.

Furio

Wanderer
In two and easy words:

Serialization is the name for storing and retrieving an object, either in a disk file, memory, or anywhere else you can think of. When serialized, all instance data is persisted to the storage medium, and, when desrialized, the object is rehydrated and is indistinguishable from its original instance.

Kardall

Wanderer
ragin145 said:
i tried all day today to see if i can try to atleast learn basics but i just dont get any of it, i have looked at every script and looked at it hard but still couldnt

public override void Serialize( GenericWriter writer )
{
base.Serialize( writer );

writer.Write( (int) 0 ); // version
}
like that
i just get stumped and got absoulutely no idea what its on about :(
and i cant really find out what it does because i dont know where to go to find out :?

Well i'm no expert, and I sure as hell don't know C#

But i do recognize a couple things.
1) public
- Means that it's for all script use not just that one.
2) override voide Serialize()
- There is a "default" if you will, Serialize() function. This is overriding it, and re-describing what the function is to do.

That's about all I can figure out I think. If i'm wrong, just post.

A

Admin_Marduk

Never touched C

I have never touched C until i started college last month. We are doing some lame stuff. But I seem to be able to go through the scripts and make new ones ect. I have done all the helms, the chest and coif for the chainmail.. Thats as far as i've gotten but it doesn't seem to complex....