RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some ConnectUO News

Jeff

Lord
Some ConnectUO News

First off, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates with ConnectUO's Client Software. With the discovery of the issues behind the Windows 2k, 98, ME bug, I have found it was not worth the time to fix the problem. It would have required a lot of time, work, and testing on my part which I had not wanted to spend on fixing something that didn't deserve as much effort. So with that said, let me show you some of the stuff that has been going on with the new and improved ConnectUO :).

First off, I've gone completely away from the whole idea of Windows Form Client. It was great and all but the GDI+ used for it was slow, and buggy. It may have looked nice, but I always had a issue with its slowness. With this, I went with an idea that was proposed to me be ASayre which was "Why not make it work like Google Desktop". At that point, I had absolutely no idea what or how Google Desktop was and worked. So I downloaded, installed, and checked it out. I thought Nice, this looks great, has very little overhead and I don't have to code any GDI+. So I went with the idea, started coding test applications and laying out my design. Well hours upon hours of testing and trying new things I've finally got some great results.

So heres the first public screen shot of the new "ConnectUO Desktop"(linked due to size)
ConnectUO Desktop Screen Shot

Now let me explain some new features.

Features

-New web based interface
-Public server list updates every 30 minutes
-Completely new patching library
--Supports MUO, UOP, Verdata patches
--Supports Zip & Rar (more compression types planned)
--Still supports Mul files
--Limitless number of patches for each server(will explain more on release)
-Skinning ability(HTML, XHTML, PHP(maybe), ASP(maybe) )
--It has its own template keyword API for these types(more on this later)
-Favorites update with the public server list
-More information for each server
--Online count graphs
--Vote count
--Banners
-Ability to vote for servers
-Possibly some stuff I left out :)

My main purpose for this Announcement was to calm the jets on some people that are complaining about not having updates for ConnectUO for some time now. This is more to show you that we have been working on things, and in a sense have completely re-written ConnectUO from the floor up. The current status of ConnectUO Desktop is looking good, I plan on having something for you guys to play with soon. With this I'm hoping to completely revamp the ConnectUO - Shard List forum structure and possibly look over the next few days/weeks. So if you see things new one there, this is why :)

Jeff

Jeff;655648 said:
First off, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates with ConnectUO's Client Software. With the discovery of the issues behind the Windows 2k, 98, ME bug, I have found it was not worth the time to fix the problem. It would have required a lot of time, work, and testing on my part which I had not wanted to spend on fixing something that didn't deserve as much effort. So with that said, let me show you some of the stuff that has been going on with the new and improved ConnectUO :).

First off, I've gone completely away from the whole idea of Windows Form Client. It was great and all but the GDI+ used for it was slow, and buggy. It may have looked nice, but I always had a issue with its slowness. With this, I went with an idea that was proposed to me be ASayre which was "Why not make it work like Google Desktop". At that point, I had absolutely no idea what or how Google Desktop was and worked. So I downloaded, installed, and checked it out. I thought Nice, this looks great, has very little overhead and I don't have to code any GDI+. So I went with the idea, started coding test applications and laying out my design. Well hours upon hours of testing and trying new things I've finally got some great results.

So heres the first public screen shot of the new "ConnectUO Desktop"(linked due to size)
ConnectUO Desktop Screen Shot

Now let me explain some new features.

Features

-New web based interface
-Public server list updates every 30 minutes
-Completely new patching library
--Supports MUO, UOP, Verdata patches
--Supports Zip & Rar (more compression types planned)
--Still supports Mul files
--Limitless number of patches for each server(will explain more on release)
-Skinning ability(HTML, XHTML, PHP(maybe), ASP(maybe) )
--It has its own template keyword API for these types(more on this later)
-Favorites update with the public server list
-More information for each server
--Online count graphs
--Vote count
--Banners
-Ability to vote for servers
-Possibly some stuff I left out :)

My main purpose for this Announcement was to calm the jets on some people that are complaining about not having updates for ConnectUO for some time now. This is more to show you that we have been working on things, and in a sense have completely re-written ConnectUO from the floor up. The current status of ConnectUO Desktop is looking good, I plan on having something for you guys to play with soon. With this I'm hoping to completely revamp the ConnectUO - Shard List forum structure and possibly look over the next few days/weeks. So if you see things new one there, this is why :)

Jeff
sex ?

Jeff

Lord
TheOutkastDev;655838 said:
It just seems kind of weird. I guess I need to download Google Desktop to really get an idea of what it would be like.

ya i thought the same thing, then i tried GD :)

Joeku

Lord
I did notice that the Windows Form version was pretty sluggish - I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth though :p

Good job man, I can't wait for the new release.