RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appologies, goodbyes, etc...

Vorspire

Knight
Zippy, 1998 - 2009, Zipping up forever. Honored by his presence, we will miss him.

How's that for an epitaph? xD

Seriously though, it's been great knowing you Zippy, thanks for everything and good luck with your job and family!

I owe everything I know about programming to UO too, especially RunUO.

[=] The Care Box is full :)

Admin Marduk

Sorceror
Farwell

Zippy,

I'm sure you don't remember me, but I used to lurk in the IRC "back in the day" I have since moved on in life. Also married, with two kids, and a "real" job.

I recall briefly hanging out with you as well as Ryan and a few others talking about coding and such.

Best of luck to you in life. I still find myself coming back here as well as Sphere/TUS/etc to "read up"

HellRazor

Knight
Hey Zippy, thanks for everything you've done for this community! And appreciate also your interest in keeping Razor going and allowing others to carry the torch.

Knottingham

Wanderer
Thanks

Hey!
Thank you for all your hard work! I hope you enjoy your family life......you truly deserve it :)
Once again, thanx from a concerned NOOB........lol

Respectfully,

Knottingham

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Goodbye, Zippy. Thanks for this great learning environment you helped create and foster.

I probably have the job I do today because of this site.

Sincerely, thanks very much for your work.

-TMS

Folko

Sorceror
Hey Zippy,

even though I'm not from the RunUO community, I remember chatting about reverse engineering the "new" housing system on IRC with you a few years ago. You are one of the few RunUO guys that I enjoyed talking to.

I've gone a similar way, learned reverse engineering and coding because of UO and now studying computer science at a University.

Regards and farewell

Folko

jpMocs

Wanderer
You know, I have used Razor a lot over the years... I guess it is only when things change that you think to take time and thank the people that have effected your life.

Times do change... I have been playing Ultima most of my life... I started with Ultima III over at a friends house, and was hooked for life. I was there when UO went into beta testing, and enjoyed playing the living... heck... out of it.

Since then, I have moved to free shards, and have loved the diversity that has been brought into it. And only now am I beginning to set up a free shard, something I have wanted to do for a long, LONG while...

Times change, people come and go... Ultima will (hopefully) live on forever... thanks for making my playtime more than it would have been without you.

Dian

Sorceror
Its great to know that UO has been as much a contributor to you as much as you were to UO. That doesn't happen to very many people, man.

I been around here since the beginning, ran around the first beta test shard before the first release, and all that.. Great memories :cool:

I'm sure we all wish the best to you and your family. Thanks for all the great years here.

-Dian

Sierra Joyce

Sorceror
In honor of Zippy and his contribution I have read, as I am sure many have, each and every post in this thread. We all know how important Richard Garriot’s work was to us, and thinking back to my time on the free shard Angel Island circa 2006-2007, I know that Razor Was the way Ultima was meant to be played. Truly, you added another dimension to the game that made it just that much more fun. Ethically, your decision to hold onto the source code is very admirable and speaks keenly to your original intentions. This (Razor) was never a question of cheating, It was a question of Mastery!

It is perhaps the fading of the autumnal light for many of us as Ultima each year is older and older and so are we. To any who read this, if you might catch the spirit of the two quotes I am about to offer I am glad. To all I say:

“Fleet footed lads, fair haired lasses!”

-Karen Blixen, played by Meryl Streep at the end of Out of Africa. It was her way of saluting her compatriots and honoring all they had known, been taught, and learned to love and cherish.

Reading these posts it is recurringly clear that there is so much we have known, been taught, and learned to love and cherish. And so for all, let the words echo:

“Fleet footed lads, fair haired lasses!”

And to Zippy, Sir, there is an eloquence of spirit I read in your apology and farewell. I would offer, speak on this occasion for happiness - no apologies. Though your sentiment is not missed, we owe you, not the other way around. And as to goodbyes? It is only till we meet again; on the far side of the moon though it may be, in this, or in some other life.

I hear of your life unfurling before you like some great billowing sail upon a tall and towering great mast carrying your ship - trim and well rigged - farther and farther from these shores… With joy in my heart for you, I say to you:

“I was just thinking that of all the trails in this life…there is one that matters most. It is the trail of a true human being. I think you are on this trail, and it is good to see.”

-Kicking Bird, played by Graham Greene in Dances with Wolves.

Gently the sun sets and gently it rises.

I ask for many blessings upon you and your family, and forever more when I fire up my copy of Razor, having had the honor of getting to know you just so very little, I will think of your brave and undaunted spirit and the man and his imagination... behind such a magical creation.

-Sierra

Morxeton

Sorceror
Peace out, Zippy!

Good luck in all that you do and thanks for your contributions to UO, this community, and everyone that you've helped along the way.

I have come and gone from these forums more than I've changed my underwear in the 29 years I've been on the face of this planet. I feel ya with regards to RL. There is never enough time...

I hope you find yourself back here some day. Till then, later man.

psz

Administrator
Yeah yeah, late to the party. Tis what I do.

Anyway, Re: The Title Of This Thread: If you EVER appologize for what you've done for RunUO and the UO community again, I will hunt you down and slap you with ASayre's pet goldfish IRL.

Seriously.

As for your retirement..... No comment. I've retired almost as much as Terry Funk at this point ;->

micah-3038

Wanderer
You know guys I have to say this as well. Most of us got our start here on RunUO. An most of us a long time ago were all chatting it up in the newb forums section years ago. An now were basicly the older guys on here. Basicly driving RunUO. Its sad to see Zippy leave. But I my self must leave too. You know me as many names marine_3038, old_school etc. But I too just got married, bought a house etc.

An Honestly I must say thank you to ryan and the others for RunUO. Because now I make video games for a living. An I knew nothing until I started a RunUO server. This site is truely a insperation to young people. An Im sure right now at lest a few kids our reading this wondering how they can become as great as us older guys. Well guys let me tell you. Takes alot of work. But in the ned its worth it.

The things you learn from hosting this game. Will effect your life forever. This has been a truely great game to play. But I my self had to say good bye awhile back. An sometime shortly. I my self will be posting here for the final last good bye. An I will not return ever again sadly. I came here today cause I recived a email from someone requesting help on a old Faction system I made. But at some point I will never return just like Zippy.

So before I go my self. I want to thank Zippy, Ryan, Greywolf and all the others for playing UO with me.

A pleasure

Zippy, I had the pleasure of working with you several times in the past before RunUO was even a sparkling in Ryan's eye.... Back when we had what felt like 3 dev leaders over UOX3! It has been YEARS since I have posted anything in this forum or any other UO related forums but this deserves a post.

It has been a pleasure and I understand the need to step away from a hobby that feels as though it has became a job. I am glad to hear that you received your Masters and are happily (I hope) married. Good luck in your life and best wishes!

- Skyfire (Jason)

p.s. Xuri if you read this you are still a crazy Norwegian.

Christos81

Wanderer
This is my second post here, and maybe thats uncalled for, but I really don't care, I have something to say (again). Let me start by saying that UO has defined a good portion of my life, from paying to access OSI servers to the first time I used razor to get on a free shard (which was a huge disappointment as I had no idea what I was doing :D). My life has become much more because of the contributions of this whole community, and has led me to learn to script my own stuff. Granted it is unlikely I will go far beyond scripting stuff for RunUO, it still makes a world of difference to me to be able to offer something new and unique to the world.

For everything you have given us, without ever asking for anything in return, I salute you zippy, and you as well PSZ. It is sad to see the leaders of such a fine community decide it is time to step out, but at the same time, it is good to to see that at any given time there is 400+ people browsing the forums ensuring that we will endure long after the oiginal team is gone.

While it will never be the same without you guys, that is truly the essence of this project is it not? The world we love will continue changing forever and there will always be a place in my life for the guys who brought us this opportunity to learn and help develope something special.

Thanks again Zippy.

As for the rest of the team, I know your time will come as well, as will mine; here's to hoping you guys feel like stickin around just a bit longer.

nomad707

Knight
goodbye my sweet zippy.i will never forget you!

seriously though.. thanks for all your contributions to the runuo + uo world.
i hope you are doing well.

-R