RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Brother--round 2...

mehla

Sorceror
You could look at it this way...

UO is dying... Lets make a tool that screws people connecting to freeservers, that way we will get more subscribers...

But then again, there aren't too many people on freeservers, ans if they wanted RunUO shutdown, they would have done it long ago.

..... Who knows.....

Speaking from my personal experience... I have been hacked due to UO before. They actually got ahold of my paypal login information and stole over $2,000 bucks. Every transaction was for UO gold. (no lie) My bank and Paypal worked together to get 90% of my cash back (all but like 200 bux). But that is the primary reason why I quit OSI (that and AoS sux). Now, they are 'making' their users install software to protect them, while putting us at risk?

EA Needs to close the door on UO. They seriously need to just stop and shut the doors to a dead game.

-Mehla

Arek

Sorceror
UO Dead? Hardly. Last time I checked (it's been a while, so my info may not be up-to-date), Most OSI UO shards were as big as (or bigger than) the biggest UOGamers shard.

That being said, I've heard that EA is actually losing money on UO. If this is the case, I have no idea why they're still supporting it. It's quite possible, tho, that this PunkBuster crap is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

--Arek

RunUO2874

Wanderer
You know, I've just decided that this isn't nesicarily a bad thing.

If PB stops people from playing on freeshards, it might start a move to alternate clients, such as PlayUO, and we can part from EA completely. A massive move to an alternate client would allow from increased customization and personality. There would litteraly be no restrictions on what you could do.

That, or we could remove PB from clients playing on freeshards, which, now that I think about it, would only likely make the EasyUO people come to RunUO. Maybe not a good idea.

mehla

Sorceror
Arek said:
UO Dead? Hardly. Last time I checked (it's been a while, so my info may not be up-to-date), Most OSI UO shards were as big as (or bigger than) the biggest UOGamers shard.

That being said, I've heard that EA is actually losing money on UO. If this is the case, I have no idea why they're still supporting it. It's quite possible, tho, that this PunkBuster crap is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

--Arek

That's funny.... http://mmogchart.com

Looks like Origin was doing fine until about 2001... They were growing at a steady pace... What happened in 2001? AoS.... The game did nothing but go down since then. Now they only have roughly 125,000 subscribers. The era we live in allows for much more appealing games than the likes of UO. Don't get me wrong. I love UO (I also love my grandfather who has been dead for many years.), the game holds a sweet spot in my heart which is why I run my own server, but it's still dead. I love the game. But the game is dying a horrible death. Ninjas? *shudder*... Elfs?!!! *shudder* Come on man, EA is holding onto every last string they can to secure this game.

*shrug*

Everyone has their own opinion I suppose.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for giving me bad karma for sharing my opinion... You could have at least left more than "Meh" as a comment...

-Mehla

Chrono13

Wanderer
mehla said:
That's funny.... http://mmogchart.com

Looks like Origin was doing fine until about 2001... They were growing at a steady pace... What happened in 2001? AoS.... The game did nothing but go down since then. Now they only have roughly 125,000 subscribers. The era we live in allows for much more appealing games than the likes of UO. Don't get me wrong. I love UO (I also love my grandfather who has been dead for many years.), the game holds a sweet spot in my heart which is why I run my own server, but it's still dead. I love the game. But the game is dying a horrible death. Ninjas? *shudder*... Elfs?!!! *shudder* Come on man, EA is holding onto every last string they can to secure this game.

*shrug*

Everyone has their own opinion I suppose.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for giving me bad karma for sharing my opinion... You could have at least left more than "Meh" as a comment...

-Mehla

Some things in the Expansions could have brought the game up tremendously had it remained that in itself, Customizeable houses, New skill classes (fully thought out, not last minute "lets put this in to save our game), new lands, those are all good, but when you start giving away freebies to all the newbs to get them to stay or having to play lawyer with the game because it's so terribly unbalanced. "We'll give you this special helmet that took no effort to make if you stay here for another month" that's just ridiculous

Joeku

Lord
RunUO2874 said:
it might start a move to alternate clients, such as PlayUO, and we can part from EA completely. A massive move to an alternate client would allow from increased customization and personality. There would litteraly be no restrictions on what you could do.
Even then, isn't everything else UO (artwork, sounds, animations, names, etc.
) copyrighted? We'd basically have to wind up redo everything and wind up with our own game :(

Courageous

Wanderer
Yes it is, and the one thing I'm sure that the EA folks would come down on like a load of bricks is the unauthorized distribution of their graphical content.
This has always been the long pole in the tent of breaking entirely free of EA.

C//

Marlberg

Wanderer
Not a lawyer so I dont really know, but I think PapaSmurf has the right of it. by implementing something like this it could very will put them in violation of some sort of anti hacking law. sounds like the evenbalance software acts like a trojan. If thats what it does then I would have to believe that EA could be held responsible for profligating spyware at the very least.

At the very least an infraction like that would make the FCC sit up and take notice. and that would permanently close the UO doors

Courageous

Wanderer
3) EA has changed their TOS since I last had an open account with them under the prior rules that I agreeded to, I wasn't in violation buy using RunUO since I wasn't using a reverse engineered version of their client. But now I would be even though I am no longer a subscriber to their service and I never agreed to the new TOS but I could technically be held liable due to that change. That's like arresting me for a crime I commited 10 years ago due to a law that passed last week.

You're right. It would be like that: an ex-post facto law. Fortunately, your prior conclusion that retroactive modifications to contractual terms might somehow bind you isn't right, for exactly that reason. You could not be "technically held liable". Those terms can't possibly apply to you. Not in the US in any western or first world country that I know of.

C//