RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be cool?

Would you like to see a futuristic shard?

• yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • stupidist idea i have ever herd.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • i dont really know or care.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Rhexis

Knight
Imho, one of the better ways to go about a futuristic shard would be to just use RunUO & the client as a shell. Gut it, and rebuild it from the inside out. Which is generally far too much work for the average 'oh hey I got a cool idea' shard owner.

Slayer706

Sorceror
I agree with Rhexis. There is no way for really good futuristic server to exist in the boundaries of this game. You said planes? As in flyable? How would you get by the tile by tile movement that makes ships so laggy looking?
Not to mention that you would need a killer artist to make guns, animations, effects, ect. Then they would need to have the same artistic style as the rest of the UO stuff for it look good.
Few of the already made systems would work with a future server. The Magic: The Gathering server would be about 10x easier than this, and I don't think that server is going onto shardlists anytime soon.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
thats actually what im doing, im keeping a few things in ul;tima.. I downloaded RunUO and am editing the files.... you think i should have custom house tiles too?

Slayer706;631027 said:
I agree with Rhexis. There is no way for really good futuristic server to exist in the boundaries of this game. You said planes? As in flyable? How would you get by the tile by tile movement that makes ships so laggy looking?
Not to mention that you would need a killer artist to make guns, animations, effects, ect. Then they would need to have the same artistic style as the rest of the UO stuff for it look good.
Few of the already made systems would work with a future server. The Magic: The Gathering server would be about 10x easier than this, and I don't think that server is going onto shardlists anytime soon.
shes basically saying you would just need commitment to the project, not that its impossible by any means... you completely misunderstood her post.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Imho, one of the better ways to go about a futuristic shard would be to just use RunUO & the client as a shell. Gut it, and rebuild it from the inside out. Which is generally far too much work for the average 'oh hey I got a cool idea' shard owner.
No, she said to rip out the junk from the client and server files and start with that. Which is why I said:
There is no way for really good futuristic server to exist in the boundaries of this game.
By ripping everything out and starting over, you are making your own boundaries.

MarciXs

Sorceror
I voted for stupid idea because:
I never understood this stuff to remake UO art , don't waste time just make your own game instead. Uo is not meant to be other than it is.
Just make Uo different with scripts on it's time.Although it's your idea and if you think making thousands and thousands of artwork worth it. Go ahead.