RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be cool?

Would you like to see a futuristic shard?

• yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • stupidist idea i have ever herd.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • i dont really know or care.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Bleach

Knight
Admin Drizzt;631065 said:
i would build my own game but part of the fun is making it UO because very few poeple have ever done it before...

Maybe ... for a reason?

IMHO, people who play UO like the feel/general theme of it. If they wanted a MMO Futuristic game, wouldn't they just find one?
I dunno, but I wouldn't play a server like that, to be completely honest with you.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
Bleach;631071 said:
Maybe ... for a reason?

IMHO, people who play UO like the feel/general theme of it. If they wanted a MMO Futuristic game, wouldn't they just find one?
I dunno, but I wouldn't play a server like that, to be completely honest with you.

I would to see what it is like... It woulod be different.... and i really dont want to make the core to a game i have no idea how to do that...

Slayer706

Sorceror
Ah, so the reason you don't want to make a new game isn't because you want it to be based off of UO, but because you don't know how.

HellRazor

Knight
He doesn't know much about anything. Trying to explain MUL editing to him was like trying to explain it to my dog.

He especially doesn't understand what the word "advertising" means.

And so far as your negative karma goes Drizzt...was "fuck you" the best you could do? Maybe you should learn how to spell and how to use proper grammar before you go trying to invent the next great Ultima Online experience with the 10,000+ graphics I'm sure you are prepared to create for such a project.

But in all honesty, using the UO client as a shell to make an entire new game with diff graphics and storyline, maps etc as rhexy said isn't a bad idea. There's alot more to the client and server than what the players come into contact with you know. One doesn't /have/ to make their own client to make a new game. Either way it would take alot of determination and I doubt Drizzypooh is up to the task.

Slayer706

Sorceror
....before you go trying to invent the next great Ultima Online experience with the 10,000+ graphics I'm sure you are prepared to create for such a project.
No you see, he has this uber leet website with tons of graphics artists who will work long hours and give him any free graphics he needs license free. I am also sure those people do animations, sound effects, particle effects, and all other required media he will need.

HellRazor

Knight
Yeah, very true AB. The graphics would be the toughest part though. Without using a 3D engine, you would basically have to create all the artwork from scratch. It would even take a dedicated professional computer graphics team quite awhile to do it. Animated sprites in particular are becoming a lost art.

And yeah, judging on the posts Drizzt has made here, I doubt he can even get a stock RunUO server up and running, let alone a 100% customized shard.

HellRazor

Knight
Slayer706;631158 said:
No you see, he has this uber leet website with tons of graphics artists who will work long hours and give him any free graphics he needs license free. I am also sure those people do animations, sound effects, particle effects, and all other required media he will need.

LOL! I bet all those odd-sized and shaped graphics from various sources and of various quality are going to look GREAT! If ONLY he can figure out how to use TDV Mulpatcher, the Ultima Online universe is about to be taken by storm!

Peoharen

Sorceror
HellRazor;631149 said:
...invent the next great Ultima Online experience with the 10,000+ graphics
Examples.

UO:UG. Ultima Online: Underground.
It adds dwarves and more caves. More craftables for housing too.
One of the UO art sites already has gump art and animitions all the way up to AOS for dwarves too.

Maybe UO:Ice (Ice, aka frozen)
Well maybe not, that progject was started last year or so. Maybe two years ago. Is there even a shard up for it yet?

Anti-Basic;631156 said:
But in all honesty, using the UO client as a shell to make an entire new game with diff graphics and storyline, maps etc as rhexy said isn't a bad idea. There's alot more to the client and server than what the players come into contact with you know. One doesn't /have/ to make their own client to make a new game. Either way it would take alot of determination and I doubt Drizzypooh is up to the task.
Example.

Lineage 2. Or something like that...
It's ran off a heavly edited RunUO server but it's a different client and game.
Yeah it's not quite a edited client but it is a different one.

A few and I mean very few have custom maps. Most shards call their's a custom map becuse they edited staticx.mul or added to a existing map.
Theres a few out there with custom maps, theres a few with custom art & animations. Those shards have had more time spent creating them then I have slept in the last nine weeks.

Rhexis

Knight
Peoharen;631268 said:
Example.

Lineage 2. Or something like that...
It's ran off a heavly edited RunUO server but it's a different client and game.
Yeah it's not quite a edited client but it is a different one.

Was that a theoretical example..or is there actually a RunL2 project hidden somewhere? :confused:

Peoharen;631268 said:
A few and I mean very few have custom maps. Most shards call their's a custom map becuse they edited staticx.mul or added to a existing map.
Theres a few out there with custom maps, theres a few with custom art & animations. Those shards have had more time spent creating them then I have slept in the last nine weeks.
Why thank you! :) My shard just so happens to have numerous customs! :D

MarciXs

Sorceror
You said you want hard work , but making your project on uo isn't hard work. Try doing it from scratch , well that's the hard work. Your own engine, your own server, your own design. I would like to see how far you get.

HellRazor

Knight
Having a UO shard with some custom work isn't difficult. Lots of people have done this and there is a lot of custom art available out there.

However, having a UO shard with 100% custom art would be VERY difficult. No one has done this because the task of replacing ALL of the artwork is nearly impossible for just a few people to do.

Icedddragon

Wanderer
Most shards have many customs, however few shards have completly custom, because its just a ridicilously big task... im in the middle of making my custom map, takes a long time, then i have to build all the buildings from scratch, once again, long time, then ill have to set up the spawns from scratch (im using random encounters so it wont be as long as it would otherwise be, but still fairly long since you have to set up each individual region) i will also have to script new monsters and loot for dungeons, wont take THAT long, but the balancing probably will, however, you will have to do everything i just, but more, i.e. instead of scripting new monsters your going to have to script every single thing new. You will have to change every single crafting menu, PERHAPS with the exception of tailoring if its a weird future where they still wear the same clothes. And this is without even taking into account the fact that youll have to change your skill system, character creation(probably), and all the custom art your going to have to get in.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
wow a lot of people replied while i was asleep, anyway. I know everyone doesn't think i can do it, etc.... to much time blah blah blah. Anyway just to let all you non belivers out there know. I currently have:
1 tank
2 planes
and 5 guns
I know its not a lot but it's a start. I'm also working on some cuistom sounds etc.,.. its actually not that hard yet, I just can't figure out where to edit the skills. How to access the core. OIh well thought i'd let everyone know including AB that i have enought determination. It's just a matter of time.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
hell razor you need to go die. The website is called 3dmodelworks.com you little bitch so stfu, also i know how to use mulpatcher, and i have had a shard up for one full year and it got like 11 votes or something, not to great but i did still get one up and running and a lot of people enjoyed it