RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apiculture (Beekeeping)

Cyberspud

Wanderer
Apiculture (Beekeeping)

Apiculture 1.2
(aka Beekeeping)

History
1.2-
Fix: No longer able to click Harvest Wax button when there is no wax
Fix: Font coloring issues
Add: "Large Wax Pot" - melt down pure beeswax to be used for dipping
Add: Added Large Wax Pot to beekeeper SB info
Tweak: Some verbage changes

1.1 -
Fix : spelling errors (doh!)
Add : "Hive Tool" - needed to harvest resources (can be disabled)
Add : "Small Wax Pot" - used to "render" Raw Beeswax into Beeswax
Add : Failed wax rendering will produce "slumgum" waste (added for authenticity...can be disabled)
Tweak : Wax now produced at lower rate then honey (can be disabled)
Tweak : Hive now produces "Raw Beeswax" (can be disabled)

1.0 -
Initial release

Summary
Players can tend to a somewhat realistic beehive and harvest excess honey and wax. Like the plant system, players use potions to care for the hive and must provide flowers and water. Raw wax must be rendered to be used.

Description
Don't laugh. I was inspired by the Apiculture script by Crystal (translated by Alari) and took it a bit too far. This is my interpretation of a beehive and is heavily based on the plant system.

Apiculture is the science (and some say art) of raising honey bees, also know as beekeeping. Bees live together in groups called colonies and make their homes in beehives. Tending a hive is not as easy as it may sound, although it can be a very rewarding experience. To start on the path of the apiculturist, all one needs is a beehive deed and an area with plenty of flowers and water.

There are 3 distinct stages in a beehive's development:

Colonizing - the hive sends out scouts to survey the area and find sources of flowers and water.
Brooding - egg laying begins in full force as the hive gets ready to begin full scale production.
Producing - after a hive reaches maturity, it begins producing excess amounts of honey and wax.

The health of a hive is measured in two ways: over all health and bee population.

Over all health offers an indication of the average bee's well being:

Thriving - the bees are extremely healthy. A thriving colony produces honey and wax at an increased rate.
Healthy - the bees are healthy and producing excess honey and wax.
Sickly - the bees are sickly and no longer producing excess resources.
Dying - if something isn't done quickly, bee population will begin to drop.

Bee population is a rough estimate of the number of bees in a hive. More bees does not always mean better for a large hive is more difficult to maintain. More water and flowers are needed in the area to support a large hive (the range a hive can check for flowers and water is increased as the hive gets larger). If the conditions get bad enough, a colony of bees will abscond, leaving an empty hive behind.

Like any living thing, bees are susceptible to attacks from outside forces. Be it parasites or disease, the apiculturist has a plethora of tools at their disposal.

Greater Cure potions can be used to combat diseases such as foulbrood and dysentery. These potions can also be used to neutralize excess poison.

Greater Poison potions can be used to combat insects (such as the wax moth) or parasites (such as the bee louse) that infest a hive. Care must be used! Too many poison potions can harm the bees.

Greater Strength potions can be used to build up a hive's immunity to infestation and disease.

Greater Heal potions can be used to help heal the bees.

Greater Agility potions give the bees extra energy allowing them to work harder. This will boost honey and wax output as well as increase the range the bees can search for flowers and water.

Managing and caring for the hive is done using the Apiculture gump. Almost every aspect of the hive can be monitored from here. Down the left side of the gump are the status icons:

Production - this button brings up the production gump where the beekeeper can harvest the goods the hive has to offer.

Infestation - a red or yellow hyphen here means the hive is infested by parasites or other insects. Use poisons to kill the pests.

Disease - a red or yellow hyphen here means the hive is currently diseased. Using cure potions will help the bees fight off the sickness.

Water - this icon displays the availability of water in the area. Be warned, water breeds disease carrying bacteria, so too much water can make a hive more susceptible to disease.

Flowers - this icon provides an indication of the amount of flowers available to the hive. Bees use flowers and their by-products for almost every function of the hive including building and food. Too many flowers in the area, however, can bring the bees into contact with more parasites and insects.

Notes: a single beehive can support up to 100 thousand bees. A healthy hive can last indefinitely, however, an older hive is more susceptible to infestation and disease.

A hive's growth check is performed once a day during a world save. The upper right hand corner of the Apiculture gump displays the results of the last growth check:

! Not healthy
! Low resources
- Population decrease
+ Population growth
+ Stage increase/Resource production

Most of the above information is available via an in-game help gump.

3 Honey + 1 bottle = 1 Jar of Honey

ToDo
-Should be slight chance of damage (from bees) during harvest...based on camping?
-Wax Crafting system to use all that wax

Installation
Simply drop this in your "Scripts" folder. I would suggest creating a "Custom" folder under your "Scripts" folder to house all your custom and new scripts. This makes things alot easier when upgrading, believe me!

Usage
Simply add "apiBeehiveDeed" to a vendor or as loot so players can construct the hives. Make sure there is some water (items with "water" in the title) and flowers (items with "flower", "snowdrop", or "poppie" in the title) around the hive for the bees to make use of. These can be statics or actual items.

Add "HiveTool" and "apiSmallWaxPot" to a vendor or as loot. Beehives will produce "Raw Beeswax" which can be added to a Small Wax Pot (via the gump). The Pot can hold up to 255 wax (easily configured in the script). Next, the player must stand next to a heat source and click on "Render Wax" in the gump. There is a chance to fail where not all the wax will be rendered (up to 1/5th the amount). Any failed wax will produce "slumgum" waste (this can be disabled).

Zip now includes edited SB info for the beekeeper.

Attachments

• hive.jpg
    hive.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • gump.jpg
    gump.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • render.jpg
    render.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Apiculture 1.2.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,144

blue77

Wanderer
This looks pretty neat, I haven't tried it yet, but it may inspire me to try a wax crafting system. I always wondered what the wax was for anyway in UO. lol this might give it some use. Please don't think I am being picky because I know a script like this was no piece of cake but when glancing through the script I found two typos that you might like to fix...

BeeHiveAddon.cs

line 500 "You cannot use that on a beehive!"

line 506 "The beehive is already soaked with this type of potion!"

no biggie, just letting you know for later releases :)

H

hudel

looks very nice. But how can I bring the apiBeehiveDeed on an vendor? I got always the message that such a namespace not exists... :confused:

Darkness_PR

Wanderer
awasome script im gonna give it a try and like blue77 i think im gonna do the same lol but i dunno what items can be made from bee wax =/ candles and such?

Cyberspud

Wanderer
hudel said:
looks very nice. But how can I bring the apiBeehiveDeed on an vendor? I got always the message that such a namespace not exists... :confused:

Make sure you put
Code:
using Server.Engines.Apiculture;

at the top of the SB info script ...

Rylock

Wanderer
This is great. I reworked that script myself, but never as complicated as this. I also made a basic wax crafting system, but there are only a few things in it so far. Since this'll probably be replacing my version, I may as well share this little detail too until you do it yourself.

The scripts are pretty simple and self-explanatory. Use the dipping sticks near a wax pot and you can make the wax items. You might also want to add the dipping sticks and the wax pot deed to your Beekeeper vendor so players have access to it.

Anyway, nice script, can't wait to try it out.

Attachments

• Apiculture.zip
    3 KB · Views: 236

Darkness_PR

Wanderer
Rylock said:
This is great. I reworked that script myself, but never as complicated as this. I also made a basic wax crafting system, but there are only a few things in it so far. Since this'll probably be replacing my version, I may as well share this little detail too until you do it yourself.

The scripts are pretty simple and self-explanatory. Use the dipping sticks near a wax pot and you can make the wax items. You might also want to add the dipping sticks and the wax pot deed to your Beekeeper vendor so players have access to it.

Anyway, nice script, can't wait to try it out.
awasome thanks for sharing "dood"

goodmojo

Wanderer
I just BRIEFLY tooled around with this. But it seems like it is VERY well done. And a novel concept. I applaud your work. Thanks for sharing.

Cyberspud

Wanderer
Version 1.1 is on the way...hopefully I'll get it done this afternoon.

Fixes spelling errors (doh!) and adds wax rendering. Hives will give raw beeswax which must be "rendered" into pure Beeswax. This is done with a special small wax pot (complete with gump). Add raw beeswax to the pot, stand next to a heat source, and whammo! Purified beeswax. Process also gives "slumgum" the technical term for the impurities filtered from the wax (this can be disabled).

Also added is a hive tool (actual item) which is needed to harvest resources from the hive (can be disabled)...hives also produce wax much more slowly then honey (realistic according to what I read...can be disabled).

I'll also include the edited SB info for the beekeeper.

Kamron

Knight
I haven't had time to take a look at your script yet, but I was thinking, it would make sense to put a fail rate for making purified beeswax, as poeple are not always perfect... or am I wrong? :p

Protius73

Sorceror
Nice system so far... Now how bout adding the ability to farm honey?? Wax is kewl but most beekeepers farm them for the Honey!!! would be kewl to have a honey farm lol

Cyberspud

Wanderer
Protius73 said:
Nice system so far... Now how bout adding the ability to farm honey?? Wax is kewl but most beekeepers farm them for the Honey!!! would be kewl to have a honey farm lol

Unless I am missing something, honey is already in there... :D

LordHogFred

Knight
Um, would it be possible for you to readjust the Bee Hive Deed so that it can be added to a crafting menu. When I tyr and add the apiBeeHiveDeed to my carpentry craft menu it says that it cannot be found but it's definatly there.

Chz :),

Cyberspud

Wanderer
LordHogFred said:
Um, would it be possible for you to readjust the Bee Hive Deed so that it can be added to a crafting menu. When I tyr and add the apiBeeHiveDeed to my carpentry craft menu it says that it cannot be found but it's definatly there.

Chz :),

Do you have
Code:
using Server.Engines.Apiculture;
at the top of the crafting script? I would think that is all that should be needed...