RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum updates

Honestly, there was always some level of bullshit in starbucks, but I can remember it being mixed with good stuff. ie perplexing philosphical discussions mixed with threads about Swedish nympho ninjas, actual political -debates-, not " I don't agree with you, communist!" etc.

Take for example this thread: http://www.runuo.com/forums/starbucks-runuo-com/81107-how-very-angry.html

If he had made that yesterday, the responses would have been a lot more immature and less sincere then they were back then.

Jeff

Lord
Anti-Basic;770538 said:
Honestly, there was always some level of bullshit in starbucks, but I can remember it being mixed with good stuff. ie perplexing philosphical discussions mixed with threads about Swedish nympho ninjas, actual political -debates-, not " I don't agree with you, communist!" etc.

Take for example this thread: http://www.runuo.com/forums/starbucks-runuo-com/81107-how-very-angry.html

If he had made that yesterday, the responses would have been a lot more immature and less sincere then they were back then.

Im just sad cause we wont be able to find out any information regarding Joeku's new sexlife......................

Alex21

Sorceror
Maybe instead of rep have something else, like something you get every time someone downloads a script you released? just a thought.

Vorspire

Knight
Alex21;770541 said:
Maybe instead of rep have something else, like something you get every time someone downloads a script you released? just a thought.
I don't tink that would be a very plausable thing to do, due the the ease of abusing that kind of system.

I still think peer-review would be the more functional kind of system to use in the field, however, that also has it's down-side;
Users could rate scripts biased;
However, that can be countered by only allowing more seasoned community members (hence 'peer') to be allowed to rate.

Draegen

Sorceror
"Dances around table naked singing star bucks is gone nanananana"

Im glad to see this place get a face lift finaly not have such a hanging eye.

Vorspire;770548 said:
I don't tink that would be a very plausable thing to do, due the the ease of abusing that kind of system.

I still think peer-review would be the more functional kind of system to use in the field, however, that also has it's down-side;
Users could rate scripts biased;
However, that can be countered by only allowing more seasoned community members (hence 'peer') to be allowed to rate.
they already have that to some extent with the thread rating, but theres a pretty big and not always fair gap between 5 star script threads and ones with no stars.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
There's a positive and a negative in this news.

The positive is that the community appeal will increase drastically to the unknowns lurking. There are other possible positives such as the people who have been addicted to the Starbucks forum once again becoming active in more useful areas of the RunUO Forums. However it's also likely that they could just quit, or migrate to SoRaged? (But, considering the ones to do this are likely the least -currently- least contributing members, I guess it's a sufferable loss.)

The negative, as was partially stated above, is that the activity of the forum in general will seem to decline, for at least awhile. At least, that's what I'd expect. Hopefully it'll pick up quickly with better discussions than "check out this cool ___noun___" (40 pages). I hope for such.

And lastly, a possible forum suggestion for the future, that may or may not have been introduced or thought of in another time and place... RunUO Re-engineering Discussion! I know above you said getting back to RunUO and UO discussions is the whole idea of retiring Starbucks, but maybe a possibility after the community picks up or something. The general idea is that the source code could be nitpicked and disected, publicly and discussed for use in other peoples work. It'd also provide a means for people serious about reworking parts of RunUO a liason of communication directly to the creators themselves for help, or other really experienced coders. Of course I completely understand if the idea is neglected, as RunUO's primary function has always been a server software for the emulation of OSI RunUO (for the most part). Just a thought. Also, if another part of this forum is already set aside for such discussions as this, then I must've been overlooking that. Lastly, if the reason were for any legal purposes (Public discussion of WoW RunUO mod remakes or whatever) it'd also be a problem, so again, understandable!

And lastly, I really really won't miss most of Starbucks. :|

Radwen

Wanderer
Well, Starbucks had some good times, but it was probably a negative to this community.
As for the better of this community, this is a good move.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
I think starbucks being gone is a double sided thing....but overall a good thing.

The karma system being in there now wouldn't hurt as stated above since it would be a legit matter....or some forums have the star rating for users too....rate someone on 1-5 stars (the one on my boards are 1-10) and the thing takes an average.....but if nothing is re-introduced...no biggie

I just recently came back and was on starbucks a bit just cause i saw posts from alot of the old returning users so....*shrug*

i think this is a step in the right direction....but it is sad that some will leave just cause they have no-where to post nonsense here

One sad thing....i didn't get to see what people said on my question with what people will do with starbucks now that their e-penis was gone lol :p

keep up the good work guys

kat20

Sorceror
Vorspire;770529 said:
I love this decision, I was extremely delighted to see that rep and starbucks was removed, you finally decided to "take out the trash" and of course, the pieces that fell out the garbage can are leaving too.

I applaud the decision and will now not be distracted by StarBucks while I am trying to help this community... If anything, it will make my will to help that much stronger.

Thank you or making the right move, I'm sure the removal of StarBucks will also have a great impact on the web server's data transfer and space that can be better used for the more important forums here.

Regards,
Vorspire

I havent been a member of this community for a long time but ive been coming here for many years and reading posts and learning things i needed to know. I say all this because Im glad for this desion to remove starbacks and rep i think that less fighting will go on due to rep, and I also think that there is way to much crap posted and when i look for new post its always starbucks and i didnt like it thanks

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Meh, its been fun ryan, I lost interest in UO years ago and the starbucks forum was the only one I checked. It has steadily become more and more awful over the years, it is a shame to see it go because of retards like Arkad.

oiii88

Sorceror
lol Arkad found a new forum on Orbsydia... He isnt near as rude there. But still Arkad if ya know what I mean...

Jeff

Lord
oiii88;770582 said:
lol Arkad found a new forum on Orbsydia... He isnt near as rude there. But still Arkad if ya know what I mean...

thats because i banned him and his 20 accoutns he made after that.

Admin God

Wanderer
Vorspire;770580 said:
I hope Arkad doesn't reply to that, or it will be the beginning of the migration of StarBucks...

tbh I think that'll happen anyways given time without a specified area for it. :(

Rabban

Sorceror
For me, it is true that with Starbucks gone, I won't waste as much time reading mostly pointless yet entertaining threads.

I will miss the more productive threads discussing games in general and technology.

oiii88

Sorceror
Seeing as a lot of comment are people will miss tech based discussions. Would it be possible for a section to be made that would cover these areas? IE Poster A is looking to buy system and wants opinions, Or needs help trouble shooting graphics issues etc.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be...

Starbucks was a place to get to know more about the scripters behind the scripts. A way to understand the creators of shards, admins, gms, and the players of UO all around. To find out what makes members of RunUO people tick. That is the part I will miss. However, it has not been that for some time now.

I came to RunUO sometime ago because I was interested in scripts to play with here and there. I learned I had no talent for it. So a few years pass and I start a new account (since mine was long gone and I was only reading stuff as a guest ) going into Starbucks just to get to know the people. What made people smile and what made them stand up for what they believe in. Even if I didn’t always agree because that is what a community is for - difference. I am glad I got to know the people I did. It has made me a better person for it.

It was a good choice considering the way the community in Starbucks was headed. Perhaps I will find my niche in other parts of RunUO. One thing is certain I will always be checking up on the community. It’s got a good core and I don’t think taking out one forum will ever change that.