RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mondain's Legacy

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
LOL I still can't believe anyone would take this subject so seriously. Last I knew ML was mentioned as the end point for this emulator meaning if the team got around to finishing it then that would be the last time anything would go into this that cloned production versions. It was never promised or anything like that. The idea alone was mentioned and then everyone assumed it meant ML was going to go in for sure and then they got all excited.

I really don't care either way. If you want to run a shard and you want to clone production you should be ready to either code it on your own or get someone who can to help. No I am not trying to be harsh or anything like that but those are the facts of running a shard. You cannot expect the team behind the emulator no matter what emulator you prefer to use to provide everything you want. No one has that kind of time just for YOUR enjoyment. And that is why I say you need to be prepared to handle a certain amount of the responsibility of making YOUR shard happen rather than relying on someone else to do all the work for you.

If you ask me the RunUO team has already done far more than any other team at providing you the easiest emulator to use and also the most complete. Think I am kidding? Go grab any or all other emulators and give them a try and see for yourself.

Jeff

Lord
Corpsecrank;794373 said:
LOL I still can't believe anyone would take this subject so seriously. Last I knew ML was mentioned as the end point for this emulator meaning if the team got around to finishing it then that would be the last time anything would go into this that cloned production versions. It was never promised or anything like that. The idea alone was mentioned and then everyone assumed it meant ML was going to go in for sure and then they got all excited.

I really don't care either way. If you want to run a shard and you want to clone production you should be ready to either code it on your own or get someone who can to help. No I am not trying to be harsh or anything like that but those are the facts of running a shard. You cannot expect the team behind the emulator no matter what emulator you prefer to use to provide everything you want. No one has that kind of time just for YOUR enjoyment. And that is why I say you need to be prepared to handle a certain amount of the responsibility of making YOUR shard happen rather than relying on someone else to do all the work for you.

If you ask me the RunUO team has already done far more than any other team at providing you the easiest emulator to use and also the most complete. Think I am kidding? Go grab any or all other emulators and give them a try and see for yourself.
Go Sphere Go! Go Sph.... oh wait...

Acronis

Sorceror
Corpsecrank;794373 said:

Amen. RunUO did do the hardest job, and that's figuring out all the packet code behind what makes UO work. That could not have been an easy task, when zero knowledge about it was available. With just the network portion of RunUO alone, one could easily create a whole new emulator if they really wanted to, and its great that RunUO has made it open source as if they wanted to they could of easily made the core closed source.

I have been designing my shard from ground up using a highly modified runuo core, and plan to have full ML. To me if you want something you should have to work for it and not just leech off others.

HellRazor

Knight
Acronis;794467 said:
Amen. RunUO did do the hardest job, and that's figuring out all the packet code behind what makes UO work. That could not have been an easy task, when zero knowledge about it was available. With just the network portion of RunUO alone, one could easily create a whole new emulator if they really wanted to, and its great that RunUO has made it open source as if they wanted to they could of easily made the core closed source.

I have been designing my shard from ground up using a highly modified runuo core, and plan to have full ML. To me if you want something you should have to work for it and not just leech off others.

Actually most of all of that was figured out long, long ago. The early pioneers of UO emulation cracked most of it early on - everyone who came later (Sphere, POL, RUO) built upon the original work done before them, most notably the original UOX emulator - whose devs, lucky for all of us, had the foresight to release their source code so that others could learn from it and surpass them.

But certainly the RUO team has put together the best UO emulator, and they have done the best job of keeping their emulator current with changes, and have produced the most well thought-out and well programmed code. And the network code is all top notch as you mentioned.

Pont

Knight
Corpsecrank;794373 said:

Acronis;794467 said:

I'm not talking about my own shard, I'm talking about UO Demise. The shard where Asyre is the only dev for! It has to work with the runuo code and the code has to be compatable for all other runuo shards and as such ML can't be produced as an add on like on other player run shards(or so I am led to believe).

This is the runuo (ML/SE) shard:
"UO Gamers: Demise ("Demise") is just like what you'd get with the EA Games version of Ultima Online, only better. The team behind Demise strives to keep the current features of OSI into the RunUO package while using Demise as a test bed for new code and features. Demise is a great server for those players who are leaving Ultima Online or are just curious as to what it has become. Demise has a very large player base averaging nearly 500 users online at all times, a great staff behind it and one of The RunUO Team's most tenacious coders keeping it running like a well-oiled-machine. Demise is really a "feather in the cap" to the RunUO team because it showcases just how adaptable not only RunUO is, but how adaptable The RunUO Team is."

Or as described on the Demise home page:
"The official sponsorship from The RunUO Team means that UO Gamers: Demise is managed by an extremely professional development team. As they work on updating RunUO to the latest-and-greatest features they are tested here first before becoming part of an official release. This means UO Gamers: Demise see's all of the latest and greatest The RunUO Team has to offer."

Pont;796946 said:
I'm talking about UO Demise. The shard where Asayre is the only dev for!

The fact is, I'm not sure if Asayre is still working on it... my impression is the Demise Community to be abandoned to it's fate :rolleyes:
By some posts I have seen in Demise' forums, looks like Asayre is really busy in real life (so it's said by staff, Asayre's last post was on Christmas... and now it's flagged as "guest"). Last RunUO updates were done by Mark, that seems now the only one dev who maintains the core.

My impression (because I have not lived the RunUO community for so long time), is there are too few RunUO core devs now.

As Ryan said in first post:
With that said we're looking to expand the RunUO Team and add some new developers who enjoy Mondains Legacy and would like to help complete it. If you feel like you're that person please let me know via email or private message here on the forums.
This is. So everyone, please, stop raging and, if someone thinks to be the right man, PM Ryan to ask to be a RunUO core developer.
And if you can program a bit in C#, try to do patches to submit to Mark.

Time to revitalize this thread... I think you have already noticed what I'm saying but I'm doing an official request now:

About a month ago, I and some UOG: Demise players decided to follow Jeff's suggestion about preparing patches and submitting them to Mark.
I think the "project" is going quite well, as you can see by last RunUO updates.

With this, Demise forum admins created a new forum section here:

Bug Reports - UO Gamers: Demise

where we talk about bugs discovered in Demise (that is formerly the official RunUO test shard) and submit fixes. We discuss them there and not in RunUO forums because it's easier for Demise players to submit reports and fixes... we like everyone to partecipate.

Although a good number of Demise players are also coders, we can't reach to go through some bugs and new features.
Said this, I'd like to invite everyone who is interested in the ML develop to join Demise forum (it's part of RunUO network, so you can use your RunUO username-password) and help us in reporting and fixing bugs and implementing features. There is already a list I am maintaining in a sticky thread that should make things easier.

I'm not asking you to help us coding for "a shard", I'm giving you the opportunity to code for RunUO, and we need skilled coders for it.

Thank you for your attention :)

the0don;806340 said:
So what is the difference between RunUO shards and shards built by the RunUO community if you are not original Developer and as new here as I am?

that we reached to get a deal with Mark: players and staff find bugs/missing features in UOG: Demise (that is a vanilla RunUO SVN shard), some of them build patches if they can, Mark checks and if it's ok patches will be implemented in the RunUO repository.

psz

Administrator
Any updates applied to Demise automatically get added to the RunUO SVN.

Demise is, and always has been, the Official RunUO Post AOS Development Shard.

the0don

Wanderer
psz;806859 said:
Any updates applied to Demise automatically get added to the RunUO SVN.
Demise is, and always has been, the Official RunUO Post AOS Development Shard.

Your players are so brainwashed with your "Official" titles you probably don't have to update for another 3 years, am I right? A good scheme you've got going there, but your peers expect more than just adding *some* of ML

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
the0don;806871 said:
Your players are so brainwashed with your "Official" titles you probably don't have to update for another 3 years, am I right? A good scheme you've got going there, but your peers expect more than just adding *some* of ML

What's with the attitude? PSZ made a simple statement. RunUO is what it is and if you don't like what it is then you should download the SVN and program ML yourself.

Blueberry

Wanderer
Corpsecrank;807107 said:
What's with the attitude? PSZ made a simple statement. RunUO is what it is and if you don't like what it is then you should download the SVN and program ML yourself.

Brainwashed ^

You sir have no clue.

Jeff

Lord
Blueberry;807109 said:
Brainwashed ^

You sir have no clue.

Unfortunately YOU do not have a clue... RunUO is an open source GPL piece of software. The RunUO team does what it can to maintain, update and fix things in RunUO. We all have lives outside of RunUO and as things progress these lives take up more and more of our time. It is the unfortunate truth, but we still try to make time here and there to get on the forums, answer questions, code what we can, and unfortunately we are greeted with sniveling little crybaby punks like you... With that said, if you do not like the direction RunUO is taking, feel completely free to take the code and do something with it yourself... after all, it is open source....

psz

Administrator
And if you'd have bothered to research, you'd have seen that the RunUO SVN (which Demise contributes to) has had nearly weekly updates for the past few months.

Additionally, Demise ITSELF has had nearly weekly updates for the past few months.

This is thanks to the Demise staff and Demise Players (who code and test), and Mark (who has no direct affiliation to Demise other than being a RunUO Dev).

He stays up quite late to implement changes not only to the RunUO SVN, but also to the Demise server.

You really should go look at the SVN revisions since, oh, May 2009, and then compare them to the Demise changelog.

Side note to ML: It's true we're behind on ML. THat's a simple fact. However, it's ALSO true that a lot of RunUO is just incorrect, when compared to OSI. Over the past several months, we've fixed things that date back as far as AOS that have been wrong this whole time. I'd rather get everything right, at a slow pace, than throw a bunch of random code in that may or may not play well.

the0don

Wanderer
Jeff;807126 said:
Unfortunately YOU do not have a clue... RunUO is an open source GPL piece of software. The RunUO team does what it can to maintain, update and fix things in RunUO. We all have lives outside of RunUO and as things progress these lives take up more and more of our time. It is the unfortunate truth, but we still try to make time here and there to get on the forums, answer questions, code what we can, and unfortunately we are greeted with sniveling little crybaby punks like you... With that said, if you do not like the direction RunUO is taking, feel completely free to take the code and do something with it yourself... after all, it is open source....

Crybaby? Punk?

Nice response there Jeff and thanks for the advice but I am way ahead of you.

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
It's all this ridiculous fighting and all the pointless attitudes that hold communities back. Without all the bullshit things could move forward but until then things will only crawl.

I have been a part of many many communities for many different projects and when people do not appreciate anything or just have a general attitude things come to a halt pretty quick.

I just don't see the point in any of it really.

Just doing a little bump to show you some news...

The process is going really well, as you can see by the SVN progression. Now we reached also to get a test center, this should improve the coding.

There are always lots of bugs/new features that expect someone to code for them, or to test existant fixes so they can be flagged as ready and presented to Mark.

So, if you want to help us, have a look here -> link (being part of RunUO network you can use same username/password you use here to login there).

Thank you :)

osd_daedalus;811837 said:
Just doing a little bump to show you some news...

The process is going really well, as you can see by the SVN progression. Now we reached also to get a test center, this should improve the coding.

There are always lots of bugs/new features that expect someone to code for them, or to test existant fixes so they can be flagged as ready and presented to Mark.

So, if you want to help us, have a look here -> link (being part of RunUO network you can use same username/password you use here to login there).

Thank you :)

I just want to thank you guys for all your hard work.