RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Lingual Forums

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Multi Lingual Forums

What language's should we add for forums?

So far I've been asked to add:

Turkish
German
French

Any others?

Thanks,
Ryan

1337-sp34k seems to be in popular demand here too unfortunately.

or teh omfgrofl we ned too yes we do lolololol!111!

:mad:

Seriously, I don't think we should encourage non-English on these boards. I can help you with Dutch if you want though.

Manu

Knight
Ankhesentapemkah said:
Seriously, I don't think we should encourage non-English on these boards.

And you think so why... ?

What is wrong with providing people with menues, options and buttons in their native language? Nobody forces you to answer, if someone posts in their native language and not in english.

exactly should put yourself in others shoes what if runuo was in german?

what if you couldnt understand what ppl where saying but really would like to?

this way it helps them better understand the runuo project.

Rabban

Sorceror
I'm not personally requesting the following languages, but they are common from what I can tell (meaning I've heard of shards being hosted in these languages).

Russian,
Spanish (already was said),
Portugese

Manu said:
And you think so why... ?

What is wrong with providing people with menues, options and buttons in their native language? Nobody forces you to answer, if someone posts in their native language and not in english.

Just what exactly is the use of having all those options in multiple languages? It'll only encourage the people NOT to learn English. And if people post in their native language and didn't even bother to run it though one of the many free online translators that litter the web I'd say those posts should be deleted.

Bah on my forum, even English posts which deliberately lack caps and punctuation get deleted, and people that persist posting like that get banned. The other extreme, I know. But hey, English isn't my first language either. How did I learn it? From all those computer games back in the 80's and early 90's. Back in the time we didn't have the luxury of multiple languages. Nowadays the spoiled kids over here don't want games when the manual and game aren't in Dutch. BAH! I started typing English before I even learned to write Dutch at school.

Johabius

Knight
Ankhesentapemkah said:
Just what exactly is the use of having all those options in multiple languages? It'll only encourage the people NOT to learn English.
And why exactly should people HAVE to learn english in the first place? I think this is a great idea to offer up other languages in order to reflect the multiple cultures that use runuo and its related projects;)

hollysong

Wanderer
Ryan that is great thing, in Turkey a lot of people working about RUNUO scripts. but peoples right there was a problem about multi lingua = Commination. But have great benefit = more people connect runuo and send more idea.:cool:

Ryan if you need support for turkish language me and a lot of people help you for translation. ;)

Crowley62

Sorceror
These are the languages i have seen on my server. Spanish, Porteguese, Chinese, and Turkish. We have alot of turkish people and we are small i would imagine alot of servers have turks. Turkish is my main choice because some do not speak english well and it is hard to explain things to them.:)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
yeah...if anyone posts in non-english...it better be:
A. French
or
B. Japanese.

Otherwise I can't help. But it'd be good to have spanish & german.

Zero_X

Wanderer
German
French
Spanish
Portugese
Dutch
Russian
Chinese Traditional/Modern whatever...
Japanese
Korean
Turkish

KingSmidgens

Wanderer
Multi-lingual RunUO, in my opinion, would probably cause more trouble than it solves.. how, you might ask.. well, like Anhkesentapemkah said, it would start to encourage people to use their native tongue instead of English on the forums, and i'm not being racist, but the problem that this would cause is that people who don't speak english and don't even try to speak english will be trying to install and run scripts, and not knowing english will be posting non-stop asking for support. Even if you make a German, Japanese, Russian, etc. release of the RunUO system that has the base scripts in their language, they wouldn't be able to install any of the scripts on the forums and will be asking the script makers to translate it into their language, when the writers themselves may be limited lingually.

i'm not racist or anything, and I may not understand what you're trying to do fully, but from what I have gathered this is one of the problems adding new languages to the forums would create, and while i'm not against it, i'm just saying it would probably get pretty annoying :p

Why encourage users to learn english? Streamlining support.

By learning english, the user can post his/her problems and have a vastly greater number of users that are capable of support. A user who posts in german is limited to those who speak german for support.

Is it an inconvience? Probably. But that minor inconvenience will save them a substantial amount of frustration when they have a larger number of users to draw support from.