RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware Of joinuo

Thanks, yeah I agree. I have a terrible past for the reasons stated. I also have done a lot of good in return. I own it. My posts here will only be relevant to the topic.

Dian

Sorceror
If he bought it then it's not your concern and if you don't like the site any longer stop using it no one cares you don't need to go on a forum crusade over it because your upset over a little new product placement feel free to use ad-block on it to your liking get over it and shut up.

wow.. someone forget to take their meds??

Of course. It has just gone off topic by people that didn't understand that we're not talking about advertisements being added to joinuo, it was the owner adding tons of votes to his shards and editing others. Regardless of anyone's past on any server has nothing to do with the topic. I no longer run a shard, but I'd imagine those that do and list on joinuo would like to know what's going on since it has changed hands.

knowom

Sorceror
In effect, it's not dissimilar from Microsoft buying out Skype, then filling it full of trash ads and breaking most of the working features.

When Derrick owned JoinUO, it was reputable, it felt more like it was part of the community, but now that is has changed hands, it's been privatized and the community has lost any say in how it works, which ultimately affects us all, but mainly shard owners who use the service are being dealt an injustice.

I know the new owner of JoinUO, have him on Skype, but I think he's ignoring me, which to me, is a sign of guilt.
Doesn't it piss anyone else off that someone could be using a previously reputable service to further their own personal goals while casting aside the community that has supported it for so long?

BTW, Mephisto, Vladamir, it's pointless arguing/flaming each-other about it, we all have things in our past that we are not particularly proud of, for example, there was times when I was outright arrogant and acted like a dick on these very forums, you could probably even dig up some incriminating evidence to support that too, 12k posts, there has to be one, lol... but that doesn't mean we can't grow as people and learn to be humble, right? Chill, we're all on the same team here.
I disagree with you shard owners using the site are still getting a free service if they don't like the service provided they can simply choose not to use it JoinUO doesn't have a knife to the throat forcing them to use the service they provide in the they provide. Also let me ask you this do you try to further your own personal goals in real life or in a game? That's just a part of life if that's such a terrible thing well Derrick is equally guilty for selling the site to further his own personal financial situation. I guess you'd prefer other people to tell you how to spend your money for you or what personal belongs you can and cannot sell to whom though. RunUO is self promoting their servers as well for the record too so it's really not much different actually it is JoinUO is promoting their servers along with others, but yeah they are jerks for doing so apparently to some of you factious types with personal vendettas.

Vorspire

Knight
I disagree with you shard owners using the site are still getting a free service if they don't like the service provided they can simply choose not to use it JoinUO doesn't have a knife to the throat forcing them to use the service they provide in the they provide. Also let me ask you this do you try to further your own personal goals in real life or in a game? That's just a part of life if that's such a terrible thing well Derrick is equally guilty for selling the site to further his own personal financial situation. I guess you'd prefer other people to tell you how to spend your money for you or what personal belongs you can and cannot sell to whom though. RunUO is self promoting their servers as well for the record too so it's really not much different actually it is JoinUO is promoting their servers along with others, but yeah they are jerks for doing so apparently to some of you factious types with personal vendettas.

We don't have "personal vendettas", we have "standards" and "expectations" and we are well within our right to know if the service we use is legitimate or not and we also have the right to an opinion about that service and to warn others of potential risks involved.
After that, people can continue using it of their own volition, after being able to make a well-informed decision.

Some people actually do pay for product placement, not everyone uses it for free, I don't care if they make money from the site selling advertising space, but the way the advertising is implemented is causing harm to the community.

In the real world, we do have people to tell us how we spend our money, governed by the legal and financial systems.
Ebay also tells me all the time who and what I can and cannot sell to, have you ever tried to mail anything out to certain parts of South Africa before?

Stop putting words in my mouth, I did not blame Derrick at all, so stop suggesting it and trying to pin that on me.
You quote me and say that I'm calling them "jerks".
Excuse me? Can you quote that from one of my posts? Didn't think so.

It seems here that you're only interested in the financial side of this anyway, which has nothing to do with ethics, which is what this topic is about, considering the database edits the new owner made to intentionally de-rank shards that were rated better than his own.

You say "you shard owners" and stereotype us "factious", you obviously don't have your own shard as you'd be including yourself in your statements, so none of this affects you making your points moot.

Talow

Sorceror
It really is the ethics of the service. However this isn't just hurting shard owners. My players vote for my shard which is nice of them to do, however it is expected when they click the button they are adding to the value of my shard. They don't do this for financial gain, they are doing this to get our ranking higher, they are doing this because they want us to get new people to join us and share the experience with. When you click the button to vote the user is making an agreement that their vote matters. This is no different than rigging any other voting system and is pretty much telling the user "Your vote mattered nothing at all because we discounted it."

knowom

Sorceror
We don't have "personal vendettas", we have "standards" and "expectations" and we are well within our right to know if the service we use is legitimate or not and we also have the right to an opinion about that service and to warn others of potential risks involved.
After that, people can continue using it of their own volition, after being able to make a well-informed decision.

Some people actually do pay for product placement, not everyone uses it for free, I don't care if they make money from the site selling advertising space, but the way the advertising is implemented is causing harm to the community.

In the real world, we do have people to tell us how we spend our money, governed by the legal and financial systems.
Ebay also tells me all the time who and what I can and cannot sell to, have you ever tried to mail anything out to certain parts of South Africa before?

Stop putting words in my mouth, I did not blame Derrick at all, so stop suggesting it and trying to pin that on me.
You quote me and say that I'm calling them "jerks".
Excuse me? Can you quote that from one of my posts? Didn't think so.

It seems here that you're only interested in the financial side of this anyway, which has nothing to do with ethics, which is what this topic is about, considering the database edits the new owner made to intentionally de-rank shards that were rated better than his own.

You say "you shard owners" and stereotype us "factious", you obviously don't have your own shard as you'd be including yourself in your statements, so none of this affects you making your points moot.
Who's putting words in who's mouth now show me where I said "you" were calling them "jerks" I said I said I guess they are "jerks" apparently for doing so if anything I said "Derrick" is a jerk if you really want to support your side of the argument just like Italy and Russia were pricks for helping Nazi Germany in WWII. Also it's all ready been admitted that "some" of you do in fact have "personal" vendettas" against the new site owner so please shut your pie hole. Go ahead though please support your side of the argument that the new site owner shouldn't be allowed to do what they please with the site they purchased though just as you can drive your car you purchased to the locations of your pleasing. No matter what you say or how you feel about it RunUO can do as it pleases without your written or expressed consent just like a PK can stomp smack the shit out of you and take your fucking loot from your corpse enjoy grasping at straws further as that's all you've done and will continue to fucking do if you continue this charade. Thanks for the mild entertainment you guys have provided though with your butt hurt trolling of JoinUO unfortunately my spirit speak skills not that high so you can just STFU with all the 0o0o0o0000o0o0 0o0o 0o 0o0 o0 o0 o0o0o QQ *sadface* nonsense as the game has all ready squelched you for spamming like a retard.

pskarren

Sorceror
So this must be joker one of admins from uoevolution the shard in question since jeff carley aka dante isnt man enough to make a response.

Well said Talow.. Derrick is not a jerk wish he would have sold it to me. I would not have been self serving. The point to this thread was to let all shard owners no what dante is doing and the only thing they can do is de list. For many years we had a honest guy running joinuo and now we have a self serving sob. This guy has never helped the community and has only hurt the community. The owner of uoevolution and t2aultima is like a leech that needs burned off the skin. Keep pissing off Vospire and he make a site 100x better than joinuo.

Vorspire

Knight
Who's putting words in who's mouth now show me where I said "you" were calling them "jerks" I said I said I guess they are "jerks" apparently for doing so if anything I said "Derrick" is a jerk if you really want to support your side of the argument just like Italy and Russia were pricks for helping Nazi Germany in WWII. Also it's all ready been admitted that "some" of you do in fact have "personal" vendettas" against the new site owner so please shut your pie hole. Go ahead though please support your side of the argument that the new site owner shouldn't be allowed to do what they please with the site they purchased though just as you can drive your car you purchased to the locations of your pleasing. No matter what you say or how you feel about it RunUO can do as it pleases without your written or expressed consent just like a PK can stomp smack the shit out of you and take your fucking loot from your corpse enjoy grasping at straws further as that's all you've done and will continue to fucking do if you continue this charade. Thanks for the mild entertainment you guys have provided though with your butt hurt trolling of JoinUO unfortunately my spirit speak skills not that high so you can just STFU with all the 0o0o0o0000o0o0 0o0o 0o 0o0 o0 o0 o0o0o QQ *sadface* nonsense as the game has all ready squelched you for spamming like a retard.

U MAD BRO? Y U NO MAKE SENS?

MarciXs

Sorceror
What he's getting at is that JoinUO is just a website. It's not part of free-shard community as is... I mean you don't have to use it. And as for content of the joinuo it could very well become parked domain.... that's what he is getting at I think...

Talow

Sorceror
It do not matter what it will become, it's a matter of what it is.

my server is listed on there and I am not going to remove it at this time. I do however want to know weather or not the information that is received from the site is legit, Pretty much that means instead of a top site, it's pretty much now an advertising site only, that's fine, but billing it as a ranking site is a lie. My players deserve the truth and I'm willing to fight to bring that to anyone that wants the truth.

Nockar

Sorceror
It do not matter what it will become, it's a matter of what it is.

my server is listed on there and I am not going to remove it at this time. I do however want to know weather or not the information that is received from the site is legit, Pretty much that means instead of a top site, it's pretty much now an advertising site only, that's fine, but billing it as a ranking site is a lie. My players deserve the truth and I'm willing to fight to bring that to anyone that wants the truth.

Ya I agree.

It's not part of free-shard community as is

Maybe it is just because I'm very sick atm, so haven't had a lot of time online.. but I don't understand this comment due to the fact that the site is there to list freeshards in the UO community?

Dian

Sorceror
You say that as if there was much within this thread that actually does make sense...

Somehow the topic got derailed. The point that was meant to be discussed or whatever, had to do with the website's administrator (whoever it is) cheating the votes for some shards listed.

Unfortunately, I think that just about every voting site for shards has had this happen, or accused of at the least. Its the age old problem with shard voting systems. Whether it is the shards themselves that try to cheat votes, or the sites operators.. the temptation lingers within them all.

I wish UO Gateway would return. That was the best thing for Ultima free shards, and had a real stand up guy operating it. We need that type of system revived back into the community.