RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I have been thinking about...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Something I have been thinking about...

What would YOU like to see next for RunUO? I mean really RunUO is pretty rock solid...

What would you like to see next...?

The sky is the limit... I am just looking for some feedback.

Jarrod

Sorceror
Not really sure. If the development team feels that all has been done that can be done, its time to look back on those ideas that would have taken way too much time and were put on hold.

And as RunUO follows EA UO as closely as possible, "custom" features are not really in the mix are they?

How about support for custom maps? (I know, client side right? what about PlayUO client + custom map support in the core?)

Or opening multiple facets on the same server (2 running instances on the same computer, different folders)

Im at a loss as of what could be improved upon at this point.

arul

Sorceror
Newer version of PlayUO and maybe make it open source.

RunUO itself is the best as it is. Awesome job :)

RadstaR

Sorceror
Yes .. Continue on PlayUO deveplopment. Emulator is best, but usable alternative client is absent.

since runuo is basicaly for custom shards, and it blends itself well with it

for it to take the "Races" out of the core - well at least determining the races

i.e. - put them into a data file instead that the core can read
this way - why be limited to human and elf races only via the core
those that use the race systems normaly have many more races and those that don't this would not affect at all, and would still work like EA for those that want to emulate them
can be just name of race in therer then scripts for "abilities" or maybe name and "checks" for different abilities, etc

but this way it would add more to the fluidity of RunUO with the custom shard building

Nochte

Wanderer
I'd have to agree with the client sentiment on this one.
What I'd specifically like to see is a server/client setup that is completely independent from the base UO files.

Kenko

Page
I would love Spellweaving, ML quest system and Peerless System, as well as harvest systems.. :p

Anyways I already love RunUO

Having the ability to have 7 or 8 maps would be nice. As others have mentioned, what the current client won't allow, incorporate into PlayUO. Alsao having a godclient-like version of PlayUO would be nice for admins, and lessen the excessive typing.

EDIT: Who the Hell Negged me for THIS?

Radwen

Wanderer
Yeah, client side restrictions are annoying. It'd be awesome if runUO included an opensource client.

But runUO rocks anyways. I could've never have got this far without it :).

RoninGT

Sorceror
This might be a bit off the charts from what you were looking for Ryan, But i think RunUO should just make their own game. Dont get me wrong i love UO, but the you guys could make your own game.

It would not only be something that would show the scale of RunUO but also something to put some change back into your pockets :) What would be even cooler is if you guys made a game you could sell the game to play on your own servers then even sell the server files for others to host. It would be a nice little market :)

Aside from the money part :p you guys rock at anything you do and i am sure a game developed by you would rock as well. Just and idea.

Ronin

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Dude we need some custom arties and some all skills 120 pvp.

Edit: Oh and I agree with ronin. A RunUO game that is 100% open source would be unbelievable. I think there would be alot of support for it and I bet the size of this community would double.

Rabban

Sorceror
RoninGT said:
This might be a bit off the charts from what you were looking for Ryan, But i think RunUO should just make their own game. Dont get me wrong i love UO, but the you guys could make your own game.

It would not only be something that would show the scale of RunUO but also something to put some change back into your pockets :) What would be even cooler is if you guys made a game you could sell the game to play on your own servers then even sell the server files for others to host. It would be a nice little market :)

Aside from the money part :p you guys rock at anything you do and i am sure a game developed by you would rock as well. Just and idea.

Ronin

I was going to warn against such an idea because the Sphere team attempted this with Irth Online and flopped. Then I realized that Damian (Sorry, I had to put in a crack on him;) ) isn't on the team, so it just might succeed. Still, take Sphere and Irth as a lesson about how to manage, market, and in general how to and how not to go about working on a full scale game if you all (the RunUO Dev team) decide to try such a feat.

Kin-Kran

Wanderer
RoninGT said:

Ronin

This is what I thought of when I read that post. http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-6034630.html?part=rss&tag=6034630&subj=news

aralith

Sorceror
Would it be possible to simplify the addition of new ores? It's quite at tedious process to add new ones as it is now and that's a pretty basic feature of most custom shards.

On the note of writing a totally new game:
I had quite a lengthy post planned out after a long toilet session. I don't remember the whole thing since this was a long time ago, but the basis of it is I believe the RunUO community has more than enough skill in every area needed to create a quality game. Perhaps RunUO could be the first community to release a successful (and by successful I mean mainstream) open source game.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
How about a stripped-out core for people that want to mess around with making small MMORPGs? Take out all the UO-specific stuff, and let 'em at it.

Courageous

Wanderer
I'd like to see this community break free of UO entirely; to do that, I think the major opportunity lies in the pairing of PlayUO, RunUO, and the protocol between them. For various reasons, we're currently strapped by the server's expectation of what the client can and will say, what the protocol allows, and so on. I'd like to see divergence from plain vanilla in various ways, many of them implying different functionality in the client.

I don't find all that much virtue in mirroring OSI capabilities. I look at them as a source of prerendered graphics, and so forth.

I think if OSI adds new graphics to their client, or new functionality to their server, that we might capture those things, but not worry particularly about compatibility with their servers or their client. Or if we did worry about those things, we'd slow our worry, and not spend time trying to do it their way.

On another subject, there is a sad ongoing brick wall in the community, in that generally no matter how creative we are, we are basically limited by what graphics the system allows us to express. Developing clothes, items, all the rest, and making it look like it fits right into the play environment, is a royal sumbitch. As a consequence, all new stuff lives within the constraints of those older graphics. Would be nice if that problem went away...

I'm hoping KR, with its new graphics, also affords us the opportunity to breath new life into RunUO. About the time KR comes out, assuming that some good ole fashioned reverse engineering is needed, might be a good time to do a good rethink of the nature of the complete system that PlayUO + runuo special protocol + RunUO affords us.

C//

Pyro-Tech

Knight
One thing i think would be helpfull is adding in a GUI for RUO....and making alot of the "little" options changeable in one spot or within a GUI.

Little options like number of houses....house decay...how many house before suffering house decay.....different access levels...alot of the AOS, ML, SE type things...NPC Invul....all the various little things that you can go and change one thing in a script or whatever....anyone who has been here long enough knows that alot of things get asked in terms of how to change/remove something....make it even easier through this kind of thing.

Pretty much making it more user friendly and accessable to new users....it seems to be the next logical step to take

I do like the Idea of progressing play UO further...it would be nice if it were possible to get away from needing UO installed to use playUO, but i could see this being problematic since you need all the data files to run it and to get those in any other way could be illegal

what ever happened to MapUO??