RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I have been thinking about...

jsharrad

Wanderer
I'd love to see a release with just the core server so that it can be used by anyone as a basis for server software for any kind of mmo kind of like Arianne without the java dependencies. :p

jorisan

Wanderer
Custom Map

I would love to have something new to explore. I have been on a few shards with Custom maps, but they are hard to find and even harder to get going. That would be a good idea.;)

HellRazor

Knight
I like Pyro's ideas about a GUI and easier confguration. It would be nice to edit features in one place without having to edit dozens of scripts. Easier and more accessable to the non-scriptors.

Bring RunUO up to date with current OSI, more concentration on the script base as opposed to the core which is fairly solid. Lots of OSI stuff still missing.

The quest system still needs to be brought up to current OSI.

More challenging NPC AI with customizable attacks/behaviors/features.

Expanded support for "instancing".

Framework for easier server-side implementation of commonly used custom features (races, classes, xp, custom skills, custom ores, custom woods, custom recipes, etc.)

More work on the region system, features provided by "Custom Regions In A Box" should be part of the default server.

More work on PlayUO - make it stable and usable enough to actually be preferable for use as opposed to OSI client. Add new non-OSI features, work on ways to make existing/new features easily customizable by users, unlimited sound effects, music, graphics, etc. I also think the benefits of an open source client will outweigh the security concerns. People with the knowledge to hack UO can usually do so with or without the client source. Some vulnerability will always exist.

(I think unlimited maps and custom races are already available outside the core. (For races, make sure you don't use a race number reserved by the core and I think you are ok, at least my limited testing makes it appear so)).

Nero

Sorceror
I have an extreme idea.
Why not concentrate resources to make PlayUO as a new game using RunUO core?
It would probably end any legal issues. We just need texture artists, model artists, and other things related with visual.

Macil

Sorceror
Maybe an easier way to customize UO's interface? I've NEVER gotten UO Desktop to work in my life.

MrBrain

Wanderer
PlayUO Opensource now!! hehe :p

GUI
- Local gui
- Remote access gui

MyRunUO
- More flexible
- Auto-installation at the server on first run

Translation capacity
- Better methods for people like me to translate (look more than 2000 scripts is a little hard when updating to a new version)

Harvest
- Better and more flexible/customizable harvest system

Decoration / Spawns
- Capacity to save and load it from a place

Sorry if I suggest something already done, im from RunUO Beta and adapting to the new RC version :D

see a totally new game would be good, my advice is, make a Forum Topic for new game idea suggestions, get together some of the ppl that had the best ideas you thought for the game, say 5-10 ppl, maybe more, and brainstorm some things you guys would like to see out of a game.

UO is good, but you can only do so much, but with a new game, totally new environment for ppl to learn and and conquer, i like UO, but it does get old after awhile, so in honest opinion, id stop following what OSI is doing and start comeing up with some new things to throw a twist on UO.

new skills, new spells, new weapon and armor look, i would say totally remake UO, but idk if that would fall under any legal rights, but, honestly, id love to see.

UO start progressing into a different ERA, not any of this random present day space age crap, maybe, make a monarchy system, the owner more or less would have to be the monarch as well, we wouldnt want one of the random idiot players being one.

the monarch could tax or remove taxes at their leisure, altho i do agree there would be so many flaws with that if the owner got pissed off one day ect and raised all the taxes players would complain so that would be one of those think hard before doing things.

also, different accesslevels for those who dont want to mod the core due to lack of help if they do.

accesslevels for player helpers, ones that answer any and all players questions. as most shards work, gms are the world builders, seers are event holders, admins are scripters and or are there to ban ppl if the owner cant be.

a staff access for someone to watch over accesslevels below admin/owner position.

it doesnt fall under the if you dont trust your staff dont hire them category its more of the sometimes staff members try to get away with stuff like cheating their player chars. my gf's shard just done that someone we trusted and would never of thought cheated his character so bad we honestly didnt know what was gotten legit.

but really what i think this community would jump over for, would be a new project, a new 2d based MMORPG, running off the concept of the way skills are on UO, i dont like the MMORPG's that you gain a level and throw 5 points into stats, thats kinda bogus because theres honestly no fun,

you go kill a monster gain levels, but if we are just talking about spruceing RunUO freeshards up.

new professions, we have cooks lumberjacks ect, why not try for things like wizards, (yes i know theres mages but mages and wizards are diff ina sence) a whole new spell system, where they actually got to chant out the spell instead of double clicking an icon, and they have to find an elder wizard to train them in the different incantations, more less make it so a spell can be conjured with more than one incantation but the stronger the incantation is the better the spell works,

for example, say a spell to conjur the ghost of a lost soul, incantations being something along the lines of, i call upon this restless soul (insert name here), and a stronger incantation, i bring forth a soul from the netherworld to aid me in this darkend times, makeing the spell last longer and a stronger spirit come forth

Courageous

Wanderer
One thing i think would be helpfull is adding in a GUI for RUO....and making alot of the "little" options changeable in one spot or within a GUI.

I have to say, this is the most immediately practical idea of the bunch. Create one place (either one xml config file, one gui window, or both) where all the most common configuration and customization aspects of the game are easily found. How many times have people changed the skill caps only to find out they need to fiddle veteran rewards? This stuff is an ongoing pain in the community's backside.

C//

GameOva

Wanderer
Finish RunUO 2.0 up to current OSI
Quest engine
Recipes
ML creatures and Npc's
Etc...
Or atleast the basic engine for the quests so others can script what needs to be done. We need the starting point on how RunUo plans on writing them in after that it should be easy for everyone to help.

Just my 2 cents

Viago

Knight
the runuo team i not stupid. they are quite able and innovative. im sure they/project will have a feautre. Afterall runuo was made to test krioss's client. they didnt really expct it to be where it is now. but through thier hard work and keen eye for details and reliability its where it is today.

but i think an independent game of thier own might not be so wise. they are already too many games of this genera, and many that are backed up by deap pockets. I think a buisness platfor for companies would be more economical, to raise revenue.

ie maybe a corpreate platform where anyone from anywhere with thier login info could log into a company server where thier job asingments whould be posted for them ect, send/recive presentations/files ect....with more details then i listed here of course....the client could be so small that it can be ported, wich would be verry usefull.

have faith, i doubt runuo/team will end anytime soon.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Viago said:
the runuo team i not stupid. they are quite able and innovative. im sure they/project will have a feautre. Afterall runuo was made to test krioss's client. they didnt really expct it to be where it is now. but through thier hard work and keen eye for details and reliability its where it is today.

but i think an independent game of thier own might not be so wise. they are already too many games of this genera, and many that are backed up by deap pockets. I think a buisness platfor for companies would be more economical, to raise revenue.

ie maybe a corpreate platform where anyone from anywhere with thier login info could log into a company server where thier job asingments whould be posted for them ect, send/recive presentations/files ect....with more details then i listed here of course....the client could be so small that it can be ported, wich would be verry usefull.

have faith, i doubt runuo/team will end anytime soon.
What are you talking about? A independent game would be awsome. They could make it opensource and have it built by people willing to work for free, because they want to. It would be an undertaking, but it would be a very cool way for people to see what goes on when making a game. I wouldn't want runuo to make a production game, that would be lame as runuo has always been free.

Joeku

Lord
A GUI, definitely.

I'd also like to see some included support for easier modification... for instance, ores and other resources. You have to tear apart the entire crafting system to change them.

Also, as I suggested in another thread (now has been deleted), I think that the next version of RunUO should contain "base classes" that will make it easier to give distros. For instance, there could be a BaseCreature class and a Creature class; the BaseCreature class would contain all of the normal code currently used, and Creature would be basically an empty file open for distros.

The same could be done for Mobile, PlayerMobile, and Item.

There is still a lot of stuff that could make RunUO easier to use (hard to believe, isn't it?) and DEFINITELY a lot of stuff that could be done to make the jobs easier on scripters.

P.S. our own client FTW...

Ilutzio

Sorceror
I fully agree with Corageous:
Create one place (either one xml config file, one gui window, or both) where all the most common configuration and customization aspects of the game are easily found.
And MrBrain:
GUI
- Local gui
- Remote access gui
And i have some additional ideas to Mr Brain's idea:
Decoration / Spawns
- Capacity to save and load it from a place
Think, how awesome it would be to have an external program that looks like InsideUOs' map viewer (with a side window with props) for customizing world spawn.

You start the program and load a basic XML spawnfile.
In a basic RunUO distro, only NPCs would be shown on the map (spawners shows as small dots), now you can go anywhere on the map and place a dot (spawner), when you click the dot then the aforementioned Side Window shows all the props of the Spawner.
You choose what mob shall spawn, how many of them and the interval. Then you save the file and the next time you start the server the added spawners (with props) will either be there, or you will have to use a [updatespawn -command.

Here is a visual to better explain how i meen:

I Cheat

Wanderer
I would deff. be down for help if RunUO decided to make a game.

The only thing I think would be a problem would be creating all the graphics. As most of us know programmer graphics == not too good. Now if they wanted to say with UO and use the UO graphic and just create a new client with a new protocol that would be great and I would deff. help if the new client was opensource.

Courageous

Wanderer
I think creating a game with new graphics is a community larger than any open source community I've ever seen. I'm really pessimistic about that.

As for the UO Auto Map configurator, that's a great idea. While we're at it, integrate region editing.

C//

tooredrabbit

Wanderer
I completely agree that Improvements to PlayUO would be AWESOME.

But I think it should remain closed source. I do not think that the security concerns of going open source are over stated, and Krrios has stated multiple times that is the concern.