RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I have been thinking about...

I Cheat

Wanderer
tooredrabbit said:
I completely agree that Improvements to PlayUO would be AWESOME.

But I think it should remain closed source. I do not think that the security concerns of going open source are over stated, and Krrios has stated multiple times that is the concern.
I can understand where Krrios is comming from but it seems like he doesn't have enough time to work on PlayUO and with updates that far inbetween it just doesn't seem worth using PlayUO. But ya, and opensource client is dangerous.

MarciXs

Sorceror
Wouldn't GUI made it slower? I mean like I've seen some applications which crash sometimes instead of just quiting. Personally I don't need Runuo GUI as it is the server right?
But it would be nice if you guys worked on few things though.
For example I run runuo on my server pc.
But there could be something like AdminUo or whatever about the name.
With it I can log in and do most of things in GUI. So basically what I mean it would be nice maybe if there was a Remote control for Runuo. Like client-server. Why is its needed? Well, I think it's better if you don't do nothing on server. So even if the remote control with its GUI crashes your server were still running.

What els?
This idea I have had for long time , but as I am now working a lot now anyways.
some of you maybe have used Cpanel. A nice web controlling pannel. So that would be really nice! Like UoPanel or again, whocares about the name. I can do most of ithgings online. Like add accounts,scripts, etc.
Why would be nice? So if i was not at the pc , I could always chechk myshard.com:someport like cpanel for example myshard.com:2082 log in and check is it's going. Is there any error messages or something.
What else could be nice. If you could implent C++ or C language. That would be loveley! Honestly , I love C/C++. and it's because so you wouldn't need to learn C~(I know there is only basics and stuff) but anyways.

P.S I know you will ask why C,C++ , why!??!

Kenko

Page
I don't think making PlayUO open source would make anyone in the dev team smile, so why don't they add Spellweaving 4tw? ^^

Courageous

Wanderer
Wouldn't GUI made it slower?

No, it wouldn't. Anyway, those considering implementing an idea should consider such ideas conceptual. The exact expression of the idea should be left to the implemenetor, who knows how to do things best.

C//

Courageous

Wanderer
I can understand where Krrios is comming from but it seems like he doesn't have enough time to work on PlayUO and with updates that far inbetween it just doesn't seem worth using PlayUO. But ya, and opensource client is dangerous.
I understand where he's coming from, too. Totally get it. I still think it's wrong-headed, though. Ryan remarked that open sourcing PlayUO would "kill UO". I've had a month to think about that, and here's what I think:

Things that aren't changing, are dying.

In some ways, I think UO died a long time ago, and what we're hearing now is nothing other than those freaky outgassings that scared the bejesus out of ancient peoples, but were just from decomposition of the body.

I say fuckit. Do it. Let's see what happens, and react to the kill.

Move forward and change.

Have fun, and make the game that can survive PlayUO being open sourced.

I know that's a big conceptual step for many. It's not so hard for me to say, because I haven't really played UO for 8 years. UO died for me a long time ago. But really: don't the all of you think that UO is dying inside you also? That maybe it's time for something different?

That different thing can either be here... or somewhere else.

C//

HellRazor

Knight
I Cheat said:

There are other open source clients available and the client/server protocol is all well known and readily available. We've also got packet sniffers and other 3rd party tools out there. So what makes one open source client any more dangerous than another? I'm not sure what anyone could filter out of PlayUO that would make someone any more dangerous than one who took information from Iris, Wolfpack's client, or any of the published online sources.

Nebmaatra

Sorceror
I would like to see in RunUO:

- A complete farming system.
- A ritual sorcery system inspired in Ultima VIII: Pagan.
- Spellweaving, of course.

What about the new OSI client, called "Kingdom Reborn"? Its graphics reminds me those of Baldur's Gate, or maybe Sacred. I'm sure it's too soon to know if it will be fully compatible with RunUO 2.0, but I would also like to see future support in order to play with that new client in a RunUO shard.

Viago

Knight
Purchase OSI with UO and other titles under OSI from EA ect ect ect.

then you could build up on a well established game. and make it better..

but i still think an independent game is kinda a bad idae. asides from it being kool. Many Ind games have floped. many wer kool and capable but it is a costly investment. even if your team works freely.

with open source or having strangers work for you feely is ify,
trust issues, and coding skills can be questionable....and agen trust.
the curent tem is capable but theyd need more people...

Courageous

Wanderer
That's why I think additional work on the client (open sourced or not), and then incremental changes in the way the client-server behavior is played out, is a better idea than "trying to make a whole new game," even if the purpose of doing it would be to do things differently (stuff not on OSI /is/ a new game).

C//

I Cheat

Wanderer
HellRazor said:
There are other open source clients available and the client/server protocol is all well known and readily available. We've also got packet sniffers and other 3rd party tools out there. So what makes one open source client any more dangerous than another? I'm not sure what anyone could filter out of PlayUO that would make someone any more dangerous than one who took information from Iris, Wolfpack's client, or any of the published online sources.
All the other open source clients I've tooled around with were no where near the level of PlayUO. I know what can be done with plugins for PlayUO and those alone were enough to greatly impact PvP, if the wrong people had their hands on the full source code things would change greatly. Just look at Krrios "special" version of PlayUO he make for his guildmates on UOG. Most of the things people call cheats now where in that client.

I don't know what Krrios should do with PlayUO but I know I'd love to work on PlayUO.

Nochte

Wanderer
I Cheat said:
All the other open source clients I've tooled around with were no where near the level of PlayUO. I know what can be done with plugins for PlayUO and those alone were enough to greatly impact PvP, if the wrong people had their hands on the full source code things would change greatly. Just look at Krrios "special" version of PlayUO he make for his guildmates on UOG. Most of the things people call cheats now where in that client.

I don't know what Krrios should do with PlayUO but I know I'd love to work on PlayUO.

Would ya look at that...I made him red.

I Cheat

Wanderer
Nochte said:
Would ya look at that...I made him red.
Yes, you raged me so very hard I just had to state the facts. Plz show me an open source client that is as up to data (and still being somewhat developed) as PlayUO.

Killamus

Knight
I do believe that with an opensource game WILL make scriptkiddies and such will cheat their way (Such as not sending packets back for mana, etc) and cause an unfair advantage. That's my sole opinion, in the millions (if not billions, in the later years) of people that would use it, its quite a possibility that NO one will think of editing it on their computer to cheat.

[/Sarcasim]

Besides that obvious fact, an opensource game/server would be awsome for this sole reason.
To learn from. I'd personally kill, beat, and stab people to get a chance to study the core of a game and server.

Anyways, back on topic, I personally would like to see some of the more common edited things to become easier to do. Like ores, maps, the craft system (That's a pain in the ass to change), etc.

Just my .00000002 1000000$. (Two cents, if you're mathchallenged or lazy)

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Killamus said:
I do believe that with an opensource game WILL make scriptkiddies and such will cheat their way (Such as not sending packets back for mana, etc) and cause an unfair advantage. That's my sole opinion, in the millions (if not billions, in the later years) of people that would use it, its quite a possibility that NO one will think of editing it on their computer to cheat.

[/Sarcasim]

Besides that obvious fact, an opensource game/server would be awsome for this sole reason.
To learn from. I'd personally kill, beat, and stab people to get a chance to study the core of a game and server.

Anyways, back on topic, I personally would like to see some of the more common edited things to become easier to do. Like ores, maps, the craft system (That's a pain in the ass to change), etc.

Just my .00000002 1000000$. (Two cents, if you're mathchallenged or lazy)
Exactlly .

Malaperth

Wanderer
Well, RunUO is a decent server to look at, and there is the Ultima SDK (and supposedly some open-source client somewhere), so that part is already pretty much taken care of.

Killamus

Knight
Well yes, RunUO is a very good server to look at for reference/learning, but there is no client that is used widely and stable/working (As far as I know, from what I understood SDK was but a platform for it).

Mideon

Page
Just adding my opinion.

RunUO offers some very high degrees of flexibility which is really only limited by the client. I would love to see PlayUO developed further...whether or not it's open source....well i'll let others argue that...opensource I feel would be great but there are drawbacks as well. But open/closed source aside, I'd love to see a client with far more flexibility and far less things "hardcoded" into it. This would allow for an even greater ability to put custom systems in game (graphics too....which would open up new opportunties for this community which we would all love!)

RunUO is excellent, and this is the only gripe I've ever had (and it's not even RunUO's fault lol, it's the darn UO client ;D)