RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn support.

This post will serve as an advanced notice that RunUO will not attempt to reverse engineer Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn. Over the years RunUO has rebuilt everything OSI did for Ultima Online and then followed up the patches EA Games has put out for the game. However Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn is a different beast... we all love Ultima Online and the RunUO Team has decided we shall respect the work done to revitalize this game.

We also ask that you respect the NDA that is currently in place for UO:KR and not post any screen shots or game data. This should be considered a rule violation on the forum if you do post this data and will result in a termination of your account. You are welcome to link to remote information from an official UO site but do not use this site to disseminate any information you receive while participating in either the Alpha or Beta.

My personal feeling on the matter is that this attempt to revitalize an already 10 year old game will fail. The game will never again be what it once was but we should definitely give them the chance to prove us wrong. If they pull it off good for them and congratulations.

Deep in my gut something about UO:KR really bothers me... it seems as though this is EA's attempt to shut down RunUO and Free Shards.

We appreciate your support in this and we look forward to completing RunUO 100% up to where EA breaks off for UO:KR.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sparkin

Sorceror
Good Call Ryan. I think theres much we can do with what we have , and not sure Our Shard would even consider switching over to UOKR anyway.... The Possibilitys of what we can do with RunUo Is almost Limitless and no need to try to deal with the issues UOKR will have :)

Keep up the good work guys <3 RunUo

Avelyn

Sorceror
I'll comply whole-heartedly and disagree. By not keeping up, RunUo could stagnate and there just arent enough people with different ideas. At least keeping RunUo OSI standard did keep everyone working. But, after all, it's not my emulator. I understand the points made but wonder if there are other reasons as well. Pity really.. I was looking forward to seeing KR. The 2D client could really use the overhaul.

PDakis

Wanderer
I agree with that decision and think your reasons are valid. Like Spark I feel there is so much we can do with what is available to us . Everyday I get an idea or he does to do this or that. I for one am very content with what I do have to work with, its lots !

Ki Frost

Sorceror
then all I have to say is when you get to that "100%" mark, make your own game....

You already know you would have testers, coders, and players... :/

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Avelyn;667379 said:
I'll comply whole-heartedly and disagree. By not keeping up, RunUo could stagnate and there just arent enough people with different ideas. At least keeping RunUo OSI standard did keep everyone working. But, after all, it's not my emulator. I understand the points made but wonder if there are other reasons as well. Pity really.. I was looking forward to seeing KR. The 2D client could really use the overhaul.

I said there are a multitude.

Respect is #1.

Legal issues are #2.

We need to keep this project as safe as possible. We will obviously follow up with lawyers upon UO:KR's release but there's no promise that we'll ever support UO:KR.

Giving this project a finite goal for where to go with it really does make the project that much more successful.

Anyone is welcome to start a RunUO project that supports UO:KR it just wont be us.

Safety of the project is paramount.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
granted, i would love to see my shard done up with the pretty KR graphic's...but i understand where your comming from on this

and i too feel the same way on this as you do ryan...but we'll see i guess

Avelyn

Sorceror
Ryan;667389 said:
I said there are a multitude.

Respect is #1.

Legal issues are #2.

We need to keep this project as safe as possible. We will obviously follow up with lawyers upon UO:KR's release but there's no promise that we'll ever support UO:KR.

Giving this project a finite goal for where to go with it really does make the project that much more successful.

Anyone is welcome to start a RunUO project that supports UO:KR it just wont be us.

Safety of the project is paramount.

Thanks for the reply Ryan, that makes a little more sense to me and I don't disagree from the #2 reason down. I would like to beg your pardon and ask about the comment about the finite goal. Does this mean that once that point is hit the project is out of development mode from you all? Will your team then only develop ideas for the UoGamers shards?

Again thanks for the fair reply.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Avelyn;667393 said:
Thanks for the reply Ryan, that makes a little more sense to me and I don't disagree from the #2 reason down. I would like to beg your pardon and ask about the comment about the finite goal. Does this mean that once that point is hit the project is out of development mode from you all? Will your team then only develop ideas for the UoGamers shards?

Again thanks for the fair reply.

I don't think we will ever be done with RunUO but as you can see we've slowed down a bit... :)

HellRazor

Knight
I don't necessarily like the decision - but I understand it. There are no doubt certain realities involved.

I also agree that although a new client is a positive step, it won't really revitalize the game. Eye candy only goes so far.

CosmoSpira

Sorceror
as much as i would LOVE to see KR, i respect the runuo team's decision...and im not about to go back to OSI so i'll probably NEVER see it in action..

UO:KR is a mockery of UO in my opinion, and your choice to very possibly not support it, obviously was thought out and came to the conclusion you MAY and thats an indefinite may support it, I however will not use this client, whos to say that the gateway progs will even try to support them? and if not its a waist of download space, im sure if RunUO wont support it neither will they.

good call, and kudos on everything,

Ryan said:
we slowed down a bit

everyones entitled to a life, runuo is im sure a hobby not a job

LFFPicard

Sorceror
Maybe once RunUO is 100% with OSI upto KR you could turn to working on your own client for the game incorperating the best of all 3 clients..

I for one woudl love to see adjustable backpacks form 3D in the 2D client.

HellRazor

Knight
Ronin Warrior;667431 said:
UO:KR is a mockery of UO in my opinion, and your choice to very possibly not support it, obviously was thought out and came to the conclusion you MAY and thats an indefinite may support it, I however will not use this client, whos to say that the gateway progs will even try to support them? and if not its a waist of download space, im sure if RunUO wont support it neither will they.

Just out of curiosity, what about the UO:KR client makes you call it "a Mockery of UO"?

There are a few cosmetic changes but mostly I think the new client is just an upgrade of the artwork and the addition of some particle effects...eye candy. It's not all THAT much different than the existing 2D client that I can see. (Although I do hate that they are getting rid of backpacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.