RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courageous

Wanderer
I'm curious. Are they attempting to lock down things in the new client with encryption and so forth? How are the legal issues different than when UO first came out, I'm wondering.

C//

Malaperth

Wanderer
Well, the way I see it, nothing has been done up til now about RunUO, so they have kind of set a precident and would have a hard time pressing any suit about what they have themselves allowed for years.

Once they release a new client, all bets are off.

certain new lands and expansion pack content won't be accessible with legacy...or so they say... :/ They plan on phasing out legacy on OSI, so people who like Legacy (Aka everyone who counts) won't be able to play there anymore

Courageous

Wanderer
Well. What I'm curious about is what instrument of law they'd be using in litigation. It's always been very, very nebulous. For example, if I already have the client legitimately, then it cannot be a copyright violation they allege. If the client agreement says I can't use the client to connect to a freeserver, then I suppose they could sue for breach of contract. It would be interesting to see what that group of attorneys that provides defense to the emu community has to say about this stuff.

More to the point, Ryan seems concerned that the new client has locked this down better than the old. I can kind of understand being tired of moving forward with UO against this new client (work, work, work, it's always more work! :) but there seems to be an undercurrent that Ryan thinks litigation might be a reality if the community messes around here.

Why is that?

C//

Malaperth

Wanderer
I think the ad in that magazine that was posted was more or less a warning, and the added things that users keep running into in the new client versions lately are meant, in part, to see what this community does.

I can't speak for what laws (other than copyright which covers wayyyy too much territory in my opinion) would be broken, but for my tastes, the easiest way to avoid a problem is to not be near the problem. Might not be a tasty answer, but if nothing is done to support etc. the new client, there can be no suit of any kind.

Avelyn

Sorceror
HellRazor;667463 said:
Just out of curiosity, what about the UO:KR client makes you call it "a Mockery of UO"?

There are a few cosmetic changes but mostly I think the new client is just an upgrade of the artwork and the addition of some particle effects...eye candy. It's not all THAT much different than the existing 2D client that I can see. (Although I do hate that they are getting rid of backpacks).

I agree Hellrazor, and I think those new graphics and especially the particle effects would be a really nice change. I have seen the client demoed personally and it does look much better. The backpack thing is not a definate. Alot of people complained about it and the devs said they will look into making it an either/or. I'm sure there are legal issues to deal with, but I would imagine in some way, our devs are ready to move on with their lives as well. I guess things just can't last forever :eek:

I dont care how pretty it looks, phasing out legacy is a very wrong thing to do. Therefore, its bullshit and I will not ever go back to OSI.

Avelyn

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;667543 said:
I dont care how pretty it looks, phasing out legacy is a very wrong thing to do. Therefore, its bullshit and I will not ever go back to OSI.

They "claim" that you will still be able to use all legacy stuff. We will see. But I dont think any of us will ever go back to EA (OSI is gone sadly), which is why we all want this to continue! :D

No, they did not claim that you would still be able to use legacy, they quite explicitly said that Stygian Abyss content could ONLY be viewed with shitty new one, so.. quite the opposite.

Joeku

Lord
I've been waiting and wondering for a while, and I'm glad to see that RunUO finally has a finite goal, as Ryan put it. And I agree that it will help development, not hinder it.

Perhaps after we reach this goal, and in the process break off from EA, we can work on a new client and make an entirely separate game...

Good choice Ryan and Team, IMHO.

Courageous

Wanderer
One possibility would be to continue PlayUO development, but figure out how to point it at the appropriate art files so we can have better sprites and statics.

C//

They are just jealous. :p Everytime they try to "upgrade" they loose more and more players to either different games or to "other" places. ML is a good example. Many left either right before the release or soon after as i did. I actually went back not to long ago just out of curiosity and the places that usually had many ppl was like entering a ghost town. I honestly am not that impressed with what i have seen with their upcoming release. Of course as usual it always looks and sounds better til you are actually playing it. Another attempt for them to either get players back or get new ones. More than likely will loose more than they gain anyways.

Trunks01

Wanderer
Nice way to speak it out Ryan :) Alot of us dont mind coz we understand that you don't wanna get sued etc. and we like it the way Runuo is anyway

Good choice, keep up the good work with Runuo! :D

HellRazor

Knight
The biggest problem with OSI UO?

Over time the game has become almost entirely based around "rares" and "lewt". It has no heart or soul and definately very little to do with "ultima" as many of us know it. It's basically a game for people who like to collect stuff.

HellRazor

Knight
Joeku;667579 said:
I've been waiting and wondering for a while, and I'm glad to see that RunUO finally has a finite goal, as Ryan put it. And I agree that it will help development, not hinder it.

Perhaps after we reach this goal, and in the process break off from EA, we can work on a new client and make an entirely separate game...

Good choice Ryan and Team, IMHO.

A finite goal is more likely to stop development than encourage it IMHO. I wouldn't blame anyone on the team for wanting to move on to other things, and undoubtedly I wouldn't expect anyone to get themselves in legal trouble over a hobby. But saying that the goal has been reached, and no longer staying current with OSI, really to me signals the beginning of the end of RunUO.

HellRazor

Knight
Courageous;667582 said:
One possibility would be to continue PlayUO development, but figure out how to point it at the appropriate art files so we can have better sprites and statics.

C//

This would be a great new focus for the team if it can be done while avoiding any potential legal issues.

An independent client is in demand, can free us from OSI client limitations, and still make use of the client files without violating copyrights.

LFFPicard

Sorceror
HellRazor;667601 said:
This would be a great new focus for the team if it can be done while avoiding any potential legal issues.

An independent client is in demand, can free us from OSI client limitations, and still make use of the client files without violating copyrights.

And will make the free shards more active instead of Macro shards as programs like EasyUO will not function on a dev client and thus making people actually play the games :)

Well I was right, I figured KR would pretty much put the stops to UO.

Tbh, I figured it was more of a loss of steam/tired of working on the same old shit for so many years.

Im curious to see what the RunUO devs will dish out when they stop working on RunUO.

As far as me and UO go, ive been slowing cutting back how often I play( specifically because I figured htis would happen ). When KR is release I dout very much I will play it. The only way I was going to play it before was if RunUO was updated for it.

Same of it is I was just thinking of getting an OSI account for when KR came out. If I liked what I saw( from what the runuo devs could work into RunUO ) i was gonna continue to play. Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.