RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you build a project based on RunUO...

WarAngel

Wanderer
Cerberus said:
Unfortunately the version of RunUo they used appears to have been closed source so arguing about the GPL is totally useless..
no matter what way you look at it they still took the code and tried to pass it off as their own work ..
no matter what type of coloured glasses you wear to look at life this is still wrong.
They should not lie and try to pass off other peoples work as their own ( wether they stole it or not )
they should at least have the decency to credit the original authors even if it was just to add a footnote to their website saying "this only resembles RunUo as we had a look at their code for some pointers"
The fact that they did not do this just goes to prove that they either dont give a shit what anyone thinks of them or that they are in total ignorance of the fact that this is based on RunUo source .. and if this is the case they should have took the time to find this out before they started making claims about the WowwoW emu.
The fact that some of the WowwoW devs have even come into this thread and tried to plead ignorance just goes to show what they really think rather than offer to put in a footnote saying "thank you" all we have heard so far is " point to the parts you wrote and prove their your creation "
No wonder they went underground with this project.. what they should really have said was were going underground because we havnt got a clue how to do this and we need time to rip off someone elses work and make it look like we have built a proper emu by ourselves.

As iv said before the only honest member of the dev team there was Dr Nexus who for reasons of his own left the project, at least he had the decency to credit RunUO and admit he used its core as a roadmap for his own emu. the rest of the team there seem to be wearing some kind of +100 cloak of ignorance with a +50 ring of indifference just for show.

Sorry WowwoW but until you post an apology here to RunUo and start to give credit were credits due then i wont have a nice thing to say about anyone involved there. and i think since the exit of Dr Nexus no one there is willing to take enough responsibility to do this. Get off your ass Driller and finally do something for the community and face the facts... YOUR EDITING RunUo code and claiming it yours.

Some members of the WowwoW team posted here a few weeks ago asking which parts of the code were from RunUO so that they could give credit where it was due. Calm down.

theformat

Wanderer
Kirin-Man said:
Doesn't matter, it's the principal that people should just give the frickin credit where it's damn well due.
Can't take a program, say it's all your own work, when it isn't. GPL or not, it's about giving the fuckin' credit.

Put it this way. You script a system, distribute it here. Someone else takes it, changes something very insignificant, and says it's thier own work. I think I'd be pretty fuckin' pist!

So you can just imagine how Ryan feels.
id be pissed to but im sure they would give credit...

mourn76

Wanderer
Well I don't know who you've talked to about wanting credits included but one thing you need to remember is that the current group working on the WowwoW emulator is the third group to take over the project. According to their dev's they don't know what portions of the project was taken from UO code and have stated that if someone can point it out to them they will give credit. You probably know their address but if you don't you can contact them here. http://wowwow.1.vg/

LadyRhia

Wanderer
Thank you for posting the code I just added it to my shard site's vote page. I love runuo's 1.0 ver but unfortunately 2.0 from the other plaece I go still is not stable enough for me to switch I will eventually but since I am not the worlds best scripter :D [Frankly I can't secript my way out of a wet papper bag,) anyway I love the program and hope that some of your better scripters will continue even though 2.0 is out and big to support their 1.0 scripts many are really good and worth continueing to support well that is all I have to say.

Never play Leapfrog With a Unicorn (unknown)
LadyRhia AKA Misty Dain Owner Unicorn Heaven a UO Free Shard Powered by RUNUO Server Ver 1.0

Fresshness

Wanderer
Lol, this got to be the most strict and intolerable forum I have come across ever, and I have been on quite a few over the decades. sheesh.

Now.. catapult me towards -250k karma LOL

Face it .. UO = dead. If UOKR didn't give you an inkling, call me, I have a *unique* bridge in Minneapolis to sell to you :D

Now, journey onwards with life! Hope you all do the same, so you wake up to some urgent facts.. like 9/11 being an inside job for instance.

Would a coward do this? ... Bye!

LadyRhia

Wanderer
excuse me I posted this when I had a 1.0 shard I am now running a 2.0 shard and still can't get it to let me put connectUO in my banner but it's ok folks can still get to it, via my shard's website as I have a link it's Gateway that is dead not Ultima Online Not yet anyway We hope it won't die but if they keep messing it up I am afraid the creators themselves will kill it. Hey boys and girls it aint Broke Stop fixing it, or you will break it and a lot of players hearts.

ssalter

Account Terminated
It is pretty silly to use RunUO for a WoW emulator anyway. The architecture of RunUO isn't suitable for WoW. The Ascent crew has a magnificent WoW emu and combined with the NCDB, you have a private server capable of serving 1K+ users without lag on a single machine and with all current WoW-BC functionality.

So, what is this with people who ignore the original authors? Do they actually think others won't know what they based their work on? How lame.

Hannes-Erich

Sorceror
If this situation still exists, it's not really the WowwoW dev team's fault at this point. The WowwoW goons posted in this thread three times, trying to get advice on the code they needed to credit RunUO for (as it was lifted by ex-team members and they were unaware of it), and you were all too busy making pissy hit-and-run posts to notice.

LadyRhia

Wanderer
this had nothing to do with Wow or any other sinario i posted a thank you here and everyone blew it out as for some sinario :( I wish folks would not interpet what is posted but would take it for what it's worth. I am sorry if you think my comments are "Piss Assed" but I do my best to be honest and up front there had been an announcement to put the RunUO tag up I did and thanked them for it. that was all.

WarAngel

Wanderer
LadyRhia;708978 said:
this had nothing to do with Wow or any other sinario i posted a thank you here and everyone blew it out as for some sinario :( I wish folks would not interpet what is posted but would take it for what it's worth. I am sorry if you think my comments are "Piss Assed" but I do my best to be honest and up front there had been an announcement to put the RunUO tag up I did and thanked them for it. that was all.

I'm 99% sure that nothing that has been said in this thread was directed towards you.

I like pretty unicorns....

Oh and Hannes-erich... it still doesnt matter, they didnt have to ask, the method of giving credit is on the first post.. but regardless, it doesnt matter whose managing the project now, the current people DO know, and still havent given credit.

Peoharen

Sorceror
Ryan;535417 said:
GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.
<snip>
If you don't give credit where credit is due you're scum. Even the Russians that decompiled RunUO gave credit to RunUO.
omfglolzcopperrrlmoskates!

The Russian comment has to be the hottest (biggest?) burn I've seen in a while.

Storm33229;535616 said:
I'd E-Mail the creator of that quite horribley named WowwoW and start flaming him through the roof for not giving credit prior to being told to.
That was whom-that-we-don't-speak-of's job and he is not around.

swtrse;535634 said:
Well Ryans reaction is understandable since hes the creator hand has a personal binding to RunUO. Your reaction is just needless.
I do recall Ryan claiming serval times he does NOT code anything for RunUO. He just hosts & buys the beers. That being said, Ryan's reaction is understandable just from being a web dev. (assuming) It is code stealing, lack of credits, open source to close source, etc. that pisses him off.

ulatek;535653 said:
I find it hilarious how people are so anxious and quick to agree with or simply echo anything Ryan says.
<snip>
Just remember Irony will always come to bite you in the ass, im sure EA has some gripes of their own.. if it doesnt go exactly your way, just deal with it.
People are sheep.
Yeah, I bet OSI threw a fit. Took them what? 7 years to do something about it. Now RunUO won't release UOKR support. I'm sure a moral of the story is there somewhere.
Wheel of morality turn turn turn, show us the lesson we should learn.

volhv;536295 said:
Sorry but our team contains some proggrammers who dont write about using code..
In next releases (if will public) we add information about parts of code from RunUO project.
> * Ingame Command system (Shai-Hulud realisations)
> * World Serialisation system (Tum realisations)
> All other codeparts and other serialisation systems is NOT based on any project because it is logic writed by WowwoW team.

Seeing how I trust this random poster as much as all the other posters here.
WOWwow's supporter must be telling the truth! :rolleyes:

Kirin-Man;575908 said:
Doesn't matter, it's the principal that people should just give the frickin credit where it's damn well due.
Can't take a program, say it's all your own work, when it isn't. GPL or not, it's about giving the fuckin' credit.

Put it this way. You script a system, distribute it here. Someone else takes it, changes something very insignificant, and says it's thier own work. I think I'd be pretty fuckin' pist!

So you can just imagine how Ryan feels.
I hope he feels like adding a UO.com bar to the top of all RunUO pages after reading his post.

@The guy I missed hitting the quote box on that said the RunUO name totally gives all the cedit needed.
I call bullshit on that one. Or better yet. Lets use your logic.

If I had a shard, I'd put a "This shard is powered by ROSI" logo on the upper right corner on it's webpage.

R is totally giving credit to RunUO because I used a letter in a acronym of RunUO's name (RUO!) just like how RunUO has "UO" in it's name.

The OSI part talks about a company that sold out years ago and has not done anything with the ultima series since pre-SE. But hey, people like using OSI as opposed to updating and making up a new acronym for the offical servers.

There’s your credit. I hope your sofa king happy with it you forget to reply.
And now you know how RUOSI came up with their name (I think).

Felt like commenting on a dozen or so posts at once and save me the time form rereading this thread for a while.

The bottom line.
@Ryan, Want credit? Give credit.

@Sheep, The program could be done in Java, ported into C++, and decompiled into C# for all you know.

Have any you people commenting on this even gone to the site, illegally decompiled their closed source program and viewed it before? If you haven’t, then you cannot say wowwow stole anything, and if you have. Then you just broke a law and should be flamed as much as any other person that has decompiled a program before. Cache 22 :p

@WowwoW, I am too lazy to search your site. After reading the post on here that may have been from you guys. My advice. You can just post the unedited sections of the two little parts of code you copied (commands & serializion) and they lose any & all chance to say anything about you. Poof, end of flamewars.