RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellRazor

Knight
Mystiqq;668045 said:
*cough* iris2 *cough* :)

Iris2 is fine (and is probably the most promising of all the custom client projects) but is unfinished in its old form, and currently being rewritten in its new from. It also uses psuedo-3D which is fine if you like that. But what I'd like to see is a finished 2D client that works at least as good as what we have now. I have yet to see that, all the client projects out there are largely unfinished and clunky.

yeah, UO was meant to be 2d, if it had the graphics of wow, it might attract new players, but it wouldnt feel like UO anymore, and I for one wouldnt play :/

Ryan;667366 said:
This post will serve as an advanced notice that RunUO will not attempt to reverse engineer Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn. Over the years RunUO has rebuilt everything OSI did for Ultima Online and then followed up the patches EA Games has put out for the game. However Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn is a different beast... we all love Ultima Online and the RunUO Team has decided we shall respect the work done to revitalize this game.

We also ask that you respect the NDA that is currently in place for UO:KR and not post any screen shots or game data. This should be considered a rule violation on the forum if you do post this data and will result in a termination of your account. You are welcome to link to remote information from an official UO site but do not use this site to disseminate any information you receive while participating in either the Alpha or Beta.

My personal feeling on the matter is that this attempt to revitalize an already 10 year old game will fail. The game will never again be what it once was but we should definitely give them the chance to prove us wrong. If they pull it off good for them and congratulations.

Deep in my gut something about UO:KR really bothers me... it seems as though this is EA's attempt to shut down RunUO and Free Shards.

We appreciate your support in this and we look forward to completing RunUO 100% up to where EA breaks off for UO:KR.

Thanks,
Ryan

While I would love to see UOKR running on a runuo shard I also feel that 2d is where the game really ends to a degree for me.

Once 2d is no longer supported by EA I am finally free to do as I please emulation wise with the 2d client without a patch setting me back at all in my project I can finally do all of the things I always wanted to do without the hassles. This to me is a favor from EA really because now anyone with a freeshard is set free to edit 2d muls without a patch coming along its as if they are handing off the old 2d to us to do as we please in a way.

UOKR may not be anything special it may turn out like the 3d client did who knows but should it actually be as good as they say it will well I will be playing it if not hey its back to classic 2d no big deal.

UOKR may not be anything special it may turn out like the 3d client did who knows but should it actually be as good as they say it will well I will be playing it if not hey its back to classic 2d no big deal.
No, its not, they are phasing out legacy, you will NOT be allowed to use it on OSI once they do.

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;668193 said:
No, its not, they are phasing out legacy, you will NOT be allowed to use it on OSI once they do.

Well, they can only phase out legacy if most of their players adopt the switch to UO:KR.

If it flops like UO:TD did... well, phasing out legacy would most likely not happen.

umm.. theres already maps and items they say are only viewable with KR, if that is true, theres no way they can revert back to only being legacy without sacrificing those lands and content.

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;668196 said:
umm.. theres already maps and items they say are only viewable with KR, if that is true, theres no way they can revert back to only being legacy without sacrificing those lands and content.

Funny, they said the same thing about Ilshenar and some of the new items they added when Third Dawn came out. I'll be surprised really if KR goes over well.

HellRazor

Knight
The likely scenario:

They will wait until they have milked all the money they can from retail sales of KR. Then, 6-12 months down the road, they will upgrade everyone to KR for free when they phase out the old 2D client.

Manu

Knight
HellRazor;668205 said:
The likely scenario:

They will wait until they have milked all the money they can from retail sales of KR. Then, 6-12 months down the road, they will upgrade everyone to KR for free when they phase out the old 2D client.

Good guess...

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
HellRazor;668205 said:
They will wait until they have milked all the money they can from retail sales of KR.

From what I read... KR will be a free expansion to all players.

Now the expansion following it, Stygian Abyss I believe, will probably cost $$.

HellRazor

Knight
Cheetah2003;668211 said:
From what I read... KR will be a free expansion to all players.

Now the expansion following it, Stygian Abyss I believe, will probably cost $$.

You're right, I had forgotten about that! :)

MattenR

Wanderer
Wow!

A decision which could not be more wise and respectful.

Glory to Ultima Online!!!

I dont like the new client.. The 2d client is simply the best! But i believe and hope that more people will join (or comeback to) our favourite game... Its just better than (i never played it, but saw it often...) WoW!

(Iam also addicted to the Sphere51a PvP Ami-Shards.. Cause, they are so funny buggy.. Ur already done work on RunUO is just unbelievable!)

Jeff

Lord
Cheetah2003;668204 said:
Funny, they said the same thing about Ilshenar and some of the new items they added when Third Dawn came out. I'll be surprised really if KR goes over well.

Ya but the 3D client still read the map data the same way, I dont believe KR does. They have put wayyyy to much money into this to give it up. Seems to me they WILL force everyone who plays on EA Servers to this client

As far as it being free, I kinda don't know that it will be anymore. They removed the part in the FAQ that stated it was going to be download-able.

Jeff

Lord
Amadeo;668259 said:
What can I say... If Runuo do not accept new client - RunUO is dead

unlikely, but im sorry you feel this way. considering if runuo does accept the new client, EA will more then likely shut us down.

Oh, and another thing - if RunUO doesn't release a version under this client, won't it be so that I can install the client on my computer and play on all custom servers with the new graphics? I am sorry, I don't know much about scripting, I am a decorator on my server. And if you won't be able to play on freeshards, how much would it take for a scripter to adapt the client to particular server, which is running on current RunUO? What is the thing which deters people from using it on freeshards, I mean technically not legally.

Jeff

Lord
Contortionist;668267 said:
Oh, and another thing - if RunUO doesn't release a version under this client, won't it be so that I can install the client on my computer and play on all custom servers with the new graphics? I am sorry, I don't know much about scripting, I am a decorator on my server. And if you won't be able to play on freeshards, how much would it take for a scripter to adapt the client to particular server, which is running on current RunUO? What is the thing which deters people from using it on freeshards, I mean technically not legally.

Well no, because there will be no way to break the client encryption like ConnectUO, Razor and UOG do. So it wont work :(

No, itll make it stronger, when people on osi realize that they are being forced to use an uglier client, they will flock here, thus runuo will grow stronger.

RavonTUS

Sorceror
Greetings,

So as the time comes closer, are we endangering ourselves by patching? Will we wake up one morning and patch our client, just to find out it will never work again?

I think I will be paranoid from now on about patching with OSI, and keep a backup just in case.

-Ravon

HellRazor

Knight
Jeff;668266 said:
considering if runuo does accept the new client, EA will more then likely shut us down.

I still think this is quite a leap in logic. If no one has any inside information to the contrary there really isn't too much factual information to base this opinion on. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.