RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mideon

Page
Let me just sum up the answer for you Contortionist so we can all stop making this thread larger with useless posts.

If you want UO:KR support, do it yourself. If you can't...you need to stfu.

Kthxbai.

Cheetah2003

Wanderer

Courageous

Wanderer
Back on topic, I have to say I'm terribly puzzled by EA. If I were they, I would charge a token monthly fee for the right to play on server emulators and be done with it. Insofar as people are playing on emulators and not playing on UO commercial servers, that's overhead and bandwidth expenses EA is not paying. I.e., such nominal collections are fairly close to 100% profit.

C//

Jeff

Lord
Courageous;668371 said:
Back on topic, I have to say I'm terribly puzzled by EA. If I were they, I would charge a token monthly fee for the right to play on server emulators and be done with it. Insofar as people are playing on emulators and not playing on UO commercial servers, that's overhead and bandwidth expenses EA is not paying. I.e., such nominal collections are fairly close to 100% profit.

C//
I suppose it'd be quite hard for them to monitor that :/ To be honest I think this is a way for them to completely fuck with us(the emulator community). Think about it, it seems to me that they absolutely will not touch the code in the current client. Seems that it scares them and they are afraid of it. Look how long it took them to just change the way encryption works :/ not to mention they added a retard looking half assed targeting system.. In my opinion this could change things quite a bit. If they now have devs who know this client inside and out, they can make simple changes time after time to throw this community off. Lets say someone cracks the encryption and adds support for it to a RunUO fork. A couple weeks later, they just flip the way encryption works, mess with a few other things, and poof there goes the fun for that community. Simply said, this is their out, their out of copyright issues, their out of the old client, and their out to justify still paying to play this game. Watch, next fucking thing they will do is remove some key feature that made UO what it is and poof, screwed. Come to think of it, their backpack system is slotted in the new client, so that data is gonna already be different from the 2d client ya?

mordero

Knight
Maybe not though, because they did say the new client may have a "classic" option where you are able to use backpacks instead of the slots.

Nagozi

Sorceror
Hi Everyone...

I think i've just read every post on this topic and now I'm a bit confused, so Ryan - someone?!? - anyone?!?... just answer one question please... Is RunUO going to continue to provide us with frequent updates on their server software? If not for KR, at least for Legacy... :confused:

I absolutely love this community and enjoy editing the server my kids play on with their friends a lot. It would be really disheartning to see such a wonderful project go by the wayside and I hope that never happens. Kingdom Reborn isnt that big of an improvement graphically imo anyway; so who cares if the RunUO devs use it. KR is not the UO that everyone fell in love with. :p

Contortionist, I don't know if you've been banned yet, but I warned you several times using KR on an emulation server may cause possible legal issues for you. Harassing people on the forums is just stupid, so get over yourself. You've got some great ideas you've shared with me, but your approach in trying to get others to share in those ideas is way too abrasive. Chill! :rolleyes:

Anyway, please say RunUO will continue on! ROFL some of us love shard building and seeing what people bring to the table in a community like this! ;)

Courageous

Wanderer
I suppose it'd be quite hard for them to monitor that :/

If they went the way of Neverwinter Nights, and pro-forma supported the emu community, by providing goodies that everyone wants and needs, they'd not need to "monitor," people would volunteer.

To be honest I think this is a way for them to completely fuck with us(the emulator community).... they can make simple changes time after time to throw this community off. ... A couple weeks later, they just flip the way encryption works, mess with a few other things, and poof there goes the fun for that community.

Sure. Although I don't think the "client" is really a big deal. That's just code. Code is an easy thing for an open source community to produce... it can even outcompete the commercial community quite well in certain circumstances (IBM was at one time making a web server; they scrapped the project and started paying their own employees to contribute to Apache... they just couldn't keep up with Apache, it made no sense to compete).

What's very, very hard for the open community to match is the art production. Client or no client (humph! I don't care about the client, make PlayUO better!), they can't stop local access to that art! Can't! Encrypt it all you like. There's nothing they can do to stop a full decryption by someone who wants it fully decrypted. Nothing.

I really only look at KR as an art upgrade. Client? Pfah. Who cares.

C//

Jeff

Lord
mordero;668378 said:
Maybe not though, because they did say the new client may have a "classic" option where you are able to use backpacks instead of the slots.

"may", needs emphasis

HellRazor

Knight
Personally I think we give ourselves too much credit. :) I don't think the new client has anything to do with us at all. They may build in some anti-cheat or anti-emulator stuff as a sidebar, but that's not why they are creating a new client.

UO is a cash cow for EA. They know it won't last forever, but they want to make it last as long as they can. They figure by upgrading the graphics appeal they can get a few more years from it. I'm sure they fully expect the subscriber base to continue dwindling regardless of emulators, as the technology is over 10 years old and that is a million years in computer time. EA probably even has projections for when UO will no longer be viable for them and is planning for that.

They want to add a new interface, 3D particle effects, improved lighting effects, new artwork, and a new rendering system for the map. The original client was written 10 years ago or more. I think they figured that if they are going to upgrade the visual appeal they need to upgrade the technology. It's probably easier to do that than to fix the old code which is ancient and has been hacked away by multiple teams over the years.

I doubt that it is even costing them a huge investment to do these upgrades.
With the recent aquisition of Mythic, they have an experienced MMORPG team that they can borrow and share resources from to produce all of this.

I doubt that when EA decided to give UO a facelift that emulators were even on their radar when they made that decision.

HellRazor

Knight
Darrell;668404 said:
KR is looking more like FATE nice pictures but crappy ass graphix on the inside

Well honestly, nothing can be worse than some of the 2D graphics they added later on. Blackthorn's Revenge has the shittiest artwork of any of the expansions. As soon as they started using renders from the 3D client as sprites rather than hand drawing them, the quality of the artwork went WAY down.

Compare T2A sprites like the Ophideans with Blackthorn's Revenge sprites and you'll see what I mean.

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
HellRazor;668449 said:
Well honestly, nothing can be worse than some of the 2D graphics they added later on. Blackthorn's Revenge has the shittiest artwork of any of the expansions. As soon as they started using renders from the 3D client as sprites rather than hand drawing them, the quality of the artwork went WAY down.

Compare T2A sprites like the Ophideans with Blackthorn's Revenge sprites and you'll see what I mean.

Damn right. I really detested the 3D renders slapped into the 2D client. Just sooo ugly and out of place...

And as you see in the screenshots, in KR they have redrawn and fixed the awful tiles from ML expansion. So, you cannot say that KR graphics suck. The current ML graphics are unusable, and starting from AOS they used 3d graphics for NPC's by rendering them as sprites instead of drawing each frame by hand. So, KR graphics are way better.

EDIT: Also, could anyone tell me, what is the technique of new graphic rendering? Are they drawn by hand in photoshop or rendered from high resolution 3D objects? It is important as we will probably have to redo the custom tiles ourselves, and they must fit in KR world.

RavonTUS

Sorceror
Greetings,

Maybe a letter like this would help (if EA is listening) ...
Dear EA,

I would be willing to purchase a new copy of UO:KR (29.95-49.95), on the condition that I can run my RunUO server and you leave our little community alone.

Thanks!
-Ravon

It would put money back in to EA's investment in redesigning UO and keep us all happy.

-Ravon

Contortionist;668457 said:
And as you see in the screenshots, in KR they have redrawn and fixed the awful tiles from ML expansion. So, you cannot say that KR graphics suck. The current ML graphics are unusable, and starting from AOS they used 3d graphics for NPC's by rendering them as sprites instead of drawing each frame by hand. So, KR graphics are way better.

EDIT: Also, could anyone tell me, what is the technique of new graphic rendering? Are they drawn by hand in photoshop or rendered from high resolution 3D objects? It is important as we will probably have to redo the custom tiles ourselves, and they must fit in KR world.
They suck.

There, I just did.

You haven't posted any arguments on your statement so far. I however have good arguments:
1) KR graphics are "bigger" thus in better resolution and quality.
2) KR graphics are more photorealistic.
3) KR graphics look "drawn" not rendered from 3D models and do not have sharp corners (most of the new NPC graphics do).
4) ML and other new expansion graphics are redrawn in better quality so they merge with standart UO arts (in old UO they didn't because ML graphics had vomit quality.)

wannabe

Wanderer
well after all the negative things u guys have said about UOKR i doubt EA will want anything to do with us (i mean how would u feel if u worked ure ass off for
ages and then ure game just gets killed off)

and with no UOKR there goes UOSA (Stygian abyss) and most probably everything else that comes out after that (if there is anything)
if you dont like UOKR fine but you will get people that like having games with good graphics (believe it or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.