RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I have been thinking about...

traveler

Sorceror
Changes and new things

First off, I would like to appologise for my spelling and grammer.
Second, I have read the list of things people would like to have added to this great game. I agree to most all of them even though they may take time to impliment, it would be worth it for the game play. RunUO was givin to the community to have fun with. To let others create there own world, in a mannor of speaking, and to share there new ideas with a player base. Just like all things in life, some ideas work and some don't. The point is we try.

I have played UO for many years, just as most all of you have. I have also tried and used just about every UO emu out there. Most were found to be rather less than appealing, and others were very good in there own way. Sorry, but I DID at one time love Sphere and I has a very good shard done with it. Untill the creaters, in my opinion, dropped the ball on it. Sorry guys. So , I found RunUO. Stared it and found it very easy to use and set up. It's playability was much more advanced than the others I have tried. But, there are still things in other servers that I found to be very good but have not found in RunUO. But those are just a matter of scripting and I am NOT a good scripter, so I did not make them.

All in all, RunUO is a great program and will continue to be so just as long as all those who use it will continue to input there ideas to make it better. With this, I mean that there is actualy no end to what can be done with it. My thoughts is that nothing is imposable, perhaps improbable, but not imposable. BAsicly the sky is the limit here.

I have also read many that would like the RunUO team to create a new game. This I believe would be good as well. Some say that it would be to hard to do and take to much time and money. Hmmm, well, perhaps hard and time, this may be true. Money? why.. People just do not understand that there are SO MANY others out there ant would gladdly help out in a new venture if given the oppertunity to do so, and with no pay involved. The ideas for new games are large and many from what I have see so far. Perhaps people have not acvtually "explained" there ideas, and that should be done in another forume I think.. However, the possability of doing a new game is great and can be done. If it fails, so what.. Try again.. That is the problem with most people out there that try to create a new game. It fails so they give up on it and it could have been great if they just kept going with it. Get feed back from all people. Get a list of all people that would love to help and get there expertise in the coding they do best, ie: graphics, engine or what have you. Yes, it will take time, and it will be a major challange. But can you honestly say that there will not be enough support out there for it? No, you can't..

To finish up here on my ramblings, I would love to see a new game created, but I will not stop playing with RunUO either, I just have to much fun with it. Ryan and his team are the best I have seen so far at what they do. All the scripters out there are the best at what they so as well. Even those who are just starting out can take pride in there work. At least they are trying and that is some thing to be proud of. This community is one of the best I have had the pleasure of being with even though I rarely post any thing. I do read and try to implement as many new scripts as I can into my world.

Once again, I would like to say that most all the additions people would like to see in the RunUO program are good ones and should be followed up on. New ideas are best when they come from the people that play the game. Game creators are very good at there jobs, however, I find most need the input of players to find new ideas to add to there games. RunUO is no exception and has been using player ideas from the start and will, or should, continue to do so.

Ok, sorry, I could not think of new ideas as the ones I thought of were already mentioned.. Ok, am done now, so any comments to this are welcomed and expected, good or bad.. :D

Enkel

Wanderer
Well after runuo is completed and stop where UO:KR begins maybe we should begin and think of our own expansion! :D it would be so much cooler! the brains and the best scripters should team up and make it happend :p

pepolshet

Sorceror
I have a really nice idea how about you make a option of drawing items like they are stackable i mean if i set the armor to
Code:
Stackable=true
it will draw a copy of the image of the armor X pixels to left,right,up and down this will avoid from downloading those annoying patches that hardly change some thing in the client

Makaar

Sorceror
All I really would like to see is RunUO get finished up to KR's start with the aquariums, harvesting, etc. After that, the only thing that would be nice is to perhaps make patching in new animations easier so you could, say, export a Basilisk's images from Baldur's Gate and import them into UO without completely blowing your mind with exporting/importing. Otherwise, fixing small annoyances here and there (hair still deletes off corpses on mine).

Makaar;676503 said:
All I really would like to see is RunUO get finished up to KR's start with the aquariums, harvesting, etc. After that, the only thing that would be nice is to perhaps make patching in new animations easier so you could, say, export a Basilisk's images from Baldur's Gate and import them into UO without completely blowing your mind with exporting/importing. Otherwise, fixing small annoyances here and there (hair still deletes off corpses on mine).

I always wondered what caused that..

DoVer

Wanderer
Enkel;673371 said:
Well after runuo is completed and stop where UO:KR begins maybe we should begin and think of our own expansion! :D it would be so much cooler! the brains and the best scripters should team up and make it happend :p

I thought about this too.. I think RunUO Team after finishing ML support they could start to code their own Client, i know PlayUO rox.. but it eats a lot of memory and there are so many trouble to start it up for some ppl.. and I'd like to see a standard UO Client like we see it nowaday with Custom MAP and Verdata's support so every one could make their own expansions.. we could start up a group which could develop custom expansions with new animations, graphics, monsters, items etc. and we could just rebuild an engine of this client a bit to let ppl move on with their ideas..

P.S Sorry if it's hard to read or understand.. english isn't my native language.. but i do my best in writing :)

What I would like

I would like to see Runuo with the functioning set so that when you turn off mondains legacy, samuri empire, etc, you wind up with a functioning legacy game. I.e., if you turn the server back to renassaince you have renassaince weapons with the renassaince attributes, etc.

:p

thistle beard

Sorceror
malficus's thoughts on new uo

well ill start by saying ,i love this game and cant wait for reborn .however i am not looking forward to paying to play again. i gave up wow for this reason and went back to trusty uo, but i am looking forward to new content . as far as what i would like to see in future uo, well alot of things. one would be a set program with all scripts such as travel books, starting package, skill gates ,and so on with all major scripts attached to it . make it like a script auto load program for dummies lol. or just build them all in to the game it self ,that would be nice . also i would like to see everything made larger for those people who cant see so well lol. lets see how about new armor and wep sets ,more ridable creature's [such as flying dragons] that are simular to wows flying capabillity's higher in air .more control over movement. also less repeditive drops, and last but not least . larger houseing options and more animated deco. objects. all these things would be great to have and i got a ton more idea's too but running out of space lol. but here is a good one a space version of uo sweet huh? maybe some spaceships in stead of horses, ones that are coustomizable for battle, or lazer weps , and say some houseing like the jetsons lol,space tower condo's sorry cant help my self lol u said u wanted idea's well here is a few to chew on lol enjoy

SiENcE

Sorceror
I have read the whole thread now. Sorry for my english ;).
I'm one of the main Iris2 developers (if someone don't know me).

Now some statements regarding PlayUO, OSS and RunUO2 future:

1.) Playing a serverbased game, only the Server tells the rules. If players can cheat, it's a serverbased problem. You can check/limit every gamerule with your server! Currently players use hooking, sniffing, macroing and Tools like Injection, SpyUO, LogUO aso. You can't prevent Users from doing this until you make the server more secure.

2.) PlayUO is .NET and can easily reverse engineered. So you are back again to 1.)

3.) a PlayUO plugin system is a potentional macroing interface. So you are back to 1.)

4.) If you make PlayUO open source, players went to modify some parts of the client. Most of the changes would be handling and GUI (i know this from our iris2 project). Some people go to script macros. Some people try to use exploits. But hey, then it's time to fix these issues in RunUO2 and build in more gamerule checks.

5.) I don't know why you want PlayUO open source!? There where lots of oss uoclient projects out there. Even Iris2 is open source, has a working 2D renderer and can also easily stripped down to be an 2D only Client. But only a very small number of Developers support Iris2. Maybe Users prefer C# than Lua for scripting ;-).

6.) An open source Client can be modified for individual changes from different shard projects.

7.) When we started developing Iris2 (starting from the scratch, we don't use any Iris1 code), we had many talks about making it closed or open source. Also about a plugin system. We decided to make it open source, because it makes no sense, when there are already tools out there to hook the original client. It's only a matter of time until there is an tool that uses exploits.

8.) Iris2 works on UOGamers, UODemise or UOHybrid out of the box with no special modifications. :)

Question... is this an exploit?

9.) Some Users here want an Osi independant client. An "own" game. Thats a good idea, and i support this. We (Iris2 developers) also to get rid of the granny models and the osi distribution (legacy client). Coding a client is no big deal.
But there is one big problem. How do you create all the stuff of new Art? Playeranimations, Equipment, Static Arttiles, Gump gfx aso. I think the most work is doing new player/monster-animations and equipment.

I personally think, a community can't handle this. Maybe the runuo community is more open than sphere. But i don't see much skilled people supporting Iris. So i think, lots of people are only skilled in server coding.

Maybe i'm wrong. Maybe you can do corporation to create an custom UO Art project.

Maybe. :-/

I hope that UO survives the uokr break.

ps: i don't want to push Iris2 3D here!

siran

Sorceror
While I realize making a client open source also opens the door for cheats and exploits, I do believe sience is correct in that these can be defeated server side (although it introduces another layer of complexity). What I want to do with open source client code though is have a better ability to handle multis (houses, boats, etc.) as well as other client side issues. Variations in movement speed could be addressed, as well as a host of other things to improve the game.

As far as the artwork is concerned, yes it is a giant project to recreate the artwork but once done we would be free forever from OSI/EA and their looming threat of blocking what we do. I do believe the community can do this, as there are a lot of artistic people in this community who I have no doubt would tackle the project with great enthusiasm.

The PlayUO client of course is the property of those who wrote it and they have no obligation to open it up or do anything with it that they don't want to do. But I hope they consider doing so for the above reasons. We may soon come to the point where the official clients are no longer available.

HellRazor

Knight
For custom animations, what we need are programs that can automate the process of creating animation frames from rendered 3D models.

SiENcE

Sorceror
I think, lots of applications out there can handle this. Nevertheless it needs many 3D Models. During the years of Iris development we created round about 3400 3d models (where you must subtract the different views for each direction ~2-4).

Not all models are good and not all models look good when they are converted to 2d. But if someone want to create a project like this, i think we can offer help, that models from our project can be used to create 2d Art. In return, 3d models created for the custom 2d gfx, can be used for Iris.

This brings me to an new Idea. What about leaving 3d models as 3d models? A program like a prerenderer can be coded, that converts 3d models to custom 2d art. I think the size is much smaller than distributing all prerendered 2d stuff. Also the resolution can be different.

Mhh...i have to think about it, if we can code another 2D-renderer using pregenerated 3D->2D Art.

Ankron

Wanderer
RoninGT;603125 said:
This might be a bit off the charts from what you were looking for Ryan, But i think RunUO should just make their own game. Dont get me wrong i love UO, but the you guys could make your own game.

It would not only be something that would show the scale of RunUO but also something to put some change back into your pockets :) What would be even cooler is if you guys made a game you could sell the game to play on your own servers then even sell the server files for others to host. It would be a nice little market :)

Aside from the money part :p you guys rock at anything you do and i am sure a game developed by you would rock as well. Just and idea.

Ronin

Designing a game and building an emulator are two different matters. Don't get me wrong, but remember what happened to sphere when they tried to make a game? Rember, "...hindsight is 20/20."

WarAngel

Wanderer
Ankron;701383 said:
Designing a game and building an emulator are two different matters. Don't get me wrong, but remember what happened to sphere when they tried to make a game? Rember, "...hindsight is 20/20."

That's not a fair comparison because the RunUO dev team isn't retarded.

HellRazor

Knight
SiENcE;701254 said:
A program like a prerenderer can be coded, that converts 3d models to custom 2d art. I think the size is much smaller than distributing all prerendered 2d stuff. Also the resolution can be different.

A prerenderer would be great, but I would also like to see a utility to export the models into 2D graphic frames for those who want to use the art in the OSI client. More options = good!

Mhh...i have to think about it, if we can code another 2D-renderer using pregenerated 3D->2D Art.

I think SACRED is a good example of a game that uses a technique like this? (I'm pretty sure the SACRED models are even Granny models. If so, it shows that Granny can produce much better art than what we saw in the UO:3D client!)

HellRazor

Knight
WarAngel;701414 said:
That's not a fair comparison because the RunUO dev team isn't retarded.

True, but he does have a point. A lot of the work in building a game from scratch is developing all of the game mechanics. And then there are all the custom models/artwork/music/etc. that need to be done.

An emulator mostly involves reproducing the existing systems and making use of the existing models/artwork/music/etc. which is a ton of the work involved.

I think the only reason Irth Online even got off the ground is because they licensed the use of a bunch of 3D models from a failed commercial MMORPG project that went under before it could be completed. Prior to that, the models they were using were pretty amateurish.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@HellRazor: Of couse SACRED models are Granny v1 Models. I already tried displaying SACRED grannys version1 3D-Models in Iris2. successfully :). Only scaling needs a bit of customizations.

Our new grannyloader works like a wrapper. We load grn on the fly into the Ogre3D Skeleton Animation System.